New
Find
Notify
Tools

World`s biggest rifle manufacturer?
 Login/Join

<rigfer>
posted
Remingon, SAvage or any else, and which factory are building most rifles?
What rifles are the most used magazine target rifle?

Where can I find more such information?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you count rimfires, I would bet HUGE money that Ruger sells more rifles than any other company . . . come to think of it, even if you excluded the 10-22, I'll still bet Ruger sells more. I Used to work in a gun store and we sold probably four or five ruger m77's for every Winnie or Remington.

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a pure guess. If by rifles you mean any rifle, then the .22 rimfire would qualify, and my guess is that it's #1 in sales. I would also guess that Marlin is right up there near the top in sales, at least in the U.S.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have read where Ruger is the largest " firearm" manufacturer. The number of handguns that they produce puts them in the lead.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Makes the most rifles? I would guess the quasi-civilian manufacturing branch of the Army of the Republic of China (formerly imported to the U.S. under the brand Norinco.) The big Russian armory which produces a number of guns now being sold in the U.S. (branded Bakail and others) might also be a candidate. I would think that either of these, along with Fabrique Nationale of Belgium, would be producing more rifles than any of the domestic sporting arms companies.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
If you`re talking about the size of the company Ruger is the largest American firearm company. Of course they produce rifles, shotguns, rimfires, handguns, along with golf clubs, and other castings, not just "rifles". The largest in the world I`m not sure of.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd put my money on Norinco, like Stoney said.
And I wish I had bought one of their cheapie .22 bolts when I had the chance.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
<John Lewis>
posted
Marlin is the largest American rifle maker.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any one got sales figures? Could check out the investors area on the individual manufacturers websites (if they have an investors page) they should have their financials there.

Guessing I would say Ruger #1 in the US. Norinco #1 in the world. It is my understanding that the Russian production is way down due to a world wide glut on Kalashnikovs. The US of A being the only exception.

Posts: 292 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Better check IMI. Between Uzi and Galil and all the civvy models they may qualify.

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Here are some US numbers for year 2000.

http://www.shootingindustry.com/02pages/SpecRep1.html

Regards,

Terry

[ 11-28-2002, 08:03: Message edited by: T.Carr ]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
T. Carr - Very interesting data, Sir. Good post. I am amazed Winchester didn't even make the board! Is nothing sacred any longer?
[Frown]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hmm, here's my thoughts, not really based on anything but my feel.

for "commerical" We need to look not farther than

FN!!!
as they own win/sav/browning/

I think marlin, which owns HR now, would come in
pretty well, with ruger mixed into this pack...

Military (pick one)
USSR was...
China now
russia

the others are just noise, right?
jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<John Lewis>
posted
I think those statistics will be much different for 2001 and 2002 with Marlin acquiring New England firearms. The combination of the two should make Marlin the largest rifle manufacturer by a long ways. At least that is what I'm pretty sure I read when the acquisition was announced.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger, are you kidding? The 10-22 is the only decent rifle they make.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess also goes with CZ/BRNO as being the worlds largest firearms manufactuerer.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think this is what you guys are looking for (at least for American companies):
http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/stats/afmer/afmer2000.pdf

[ 12-03-2002, 18:25: Message edited by: Sean ]

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote