Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions sought
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted
Two commercial Mausers on hand. Poll question below.

Question:
A pair of rifles to be built up over time

Choices:
7x57 & 9.3x62
7x57 & 404 Jeffery
9.3x62 & 404 Jeffery
30 06 & 375 H&H
300 H&H & 375 H&H

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what purpose(s) ?

/

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
just to hunt with. nothing specific other than to one day own a classic pair in blued steel and walnut.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I vote 7x57 and the 404 Jeffery. 7x57 can kill anything in NA and the 404 can handle anything larger than that.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Voted for the first choice. I also like the H&H combo, but not in standard length Mausers.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-06 as it gives, good enough that won't you are shooting at won't know the difference, same performance as the other two medium bore calibres 7mm and 300 H & H but ONE EXTRA ROUND in the magazine.

And the large calibre option? .375 H & H as it is truly an all around calibre that has also long range performance (think two hundred yards) ability.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.300 H&H and .375 H&H in one rifle with interchangeable barrels.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I voted for the H&H combo among the choices we were given, with some trepidation. I too am not overly fond of opening standard actions to accept full-length magnum cartridges...based solely on "theory.

I chose the .300/.375 combo though for a couple of reasons.

1. I've owned London best guns which WERE chambered for the H&H cartridges on standard length Mauser actions (and still have a .375 H&H), and I never had a lick of trouble of any kind with them. So, for hunting, which means that at most the rifles will see maybe 5,000 rounds max during their lives, I think I'd just set theory aside.

2. If annoying ever turns into real crunch in our stupid anti-firearms/components laws, one can always make brass for the .300 H&H from the .375 H&H, and vice-versa.

Personally I'd probably choose something like a .280 Remington/9.3x62 combo though.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go for a 7x57 and call it a 275 Rigby. Will deal with just anything that walks save for big game and do it nice and efficiently. And pair it with the 375 h&h - flat enough shooting to take big deer / antelope out to 250 yds, but also has the punch for the big stuff. 404 poss not so good at reaching out as the 375.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have all the combos you list; can't beat the 7mm (275) and the 375, BUT, lately, I have been shooting the 9.3 a lot more; it kicks far less than the 375 and has plenty of power unless you going for the big 5. Otherwise, go for the 7 and the 9.3 together.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
interesting, I just got a beautiful barrel in 9.3 from a guy in these parts...

in fact, a companion barrel in 7 mm might just seal the deal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
7X57 and 404. The first will need little, if any, work on the action. The 404 is a true classic and seems like the Mauser and the 404 were made for each other. Two classic rounds that will take anything that walks on this planet.

Posts: 121 | Location: on the road | Registered: 01 October 2009Reply With Quote