New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blood on a blued bbl. ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wiping down a couple of rifles yesterday and I noticed some flaking away of the blue where deer and bear blood had contacted the barrels. Does blood do this? or would it be something else?just a few little tiny spots and I could see the blood or what looked like it on the bbl. can't seem to get it off.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Blood will rust blued steel in a heart beat, I feel it`s as bad as salt water. I don`t know about the flaking, it could have appeared to flake and just been the rust comeing off the barrel when you wiped.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a retired investigator with 16 years experience in all sorts of human to human mayhem. First had experience; blood is as corrosive as acid on blued steel. I remember a nice Colt Python in a puddle of blood next to a suicde for a few days ate to hell. Off hand, I'd say it the salt in the blood. It does a job on them.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

The above replies are correct. Most body fluids are .9% Na (sodium chloride, aka salt) and pH neutral (or very close to it) except for stomach (acid) and bile (alkaline).

Human blood and animal blood are chemically similar, and both will rust metal much more quickly than water. People have different salt content in perspiration. That's why some seem to cause rusty finger prints whenever they touch a firearm.

Roger

Posts: 71 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Some milsurp rifles are advertised as having "blood pitting" on them.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if blood causing rust is due in part to the hemoglobin which is a chelate containing iron.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blood is basically salt water and it will rust the hell out of a gun. You may as well dip your rifle in the ocean.

If I got it on a gun, I would wash it off with water immediately, dry thoroughly, then re-oil.

If none of the above available at the time, at least wipe it away as best you could...then do the rest when you get home.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Also true for blood from birds, have some marks on the barrels of my shotgun from pigon and geese... If you for instance get a small stain on the steel while carrying the birds and don't notice you will have a mark in no time.

/Martin

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Carl, Blood will also " etch " Stainless. I always carry an old Target Grade 357Mag Security-Six 6" Ruger when Tracking Deer just in case I accidentally get into a "Snake Dancing" situation (snake-stomping for you Pilgrims).

I was dragging Deer one weekend for a few folks and apparently got some blood on my right palm. Then I must have rested that hand on the Ruger's grip and a bit got between the Backstrap and Grips. Not real sure how long it had been in there, but it " etched " the Stainless where it had been.

Yes indeed, Blood is tough stuff on firearms.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am one of those people with severely salty sweat, I can just pass my hand over your rifle and it will start to rust, and that is only a slight exageration. I am constantly wiping my guns down while at the range.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
A little off topic, but I used to carry my Colt Walker replica wrapped in a towel. I once put it in the back of the car along with a brown paper bag full of peaches. It shifted and the barrel pressed against the peaches, mashing one and causing juice to soak through. In just an hour or so, the peach juice made a little cluster of deep pits that remains to this day. I restored the blue around it with some cold blue, but there was nothing to be done for the pits. Peach pitting.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It will f-up car paint also. The cars at work have big spots all over the hoods from the drunks.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...I feel it`s as bad as salt water. I don`t know about the flaking, ...

thats a heck of an observation, honestly... as human blood is basically the same salinity of DEEP ocean water, or the projected salinity of pre-historic oceans.

jeffe

Posts: 38594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
Peach pitting....lol

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote