Find
Notify
Tools

Model 700 SA stock - what will it fit?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted
I have a brown laminated stock that I took off my Model 700 Mountain Rifle in 260 Remington when I got a fiberglass stock. I was wondering if the new Model 700 in 7mm SAUM would fit into this stock? I think the barrel channel would need to be opened up, but is there any dimension differences in the short action ultra mag rifles vs. the standard short action (243, 260, 7-08, 308)?

Thanks in advance

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
todbartell,

I'll bet asking Remington at the e-mail address on www.remington.com would give you an answer. Meanwhile, do you want to sell that stock?
Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
A short action 700,is a short action 700. As you touch upon,contours will differ,but the action footprint is same/same.

Same goes the footprint on the Model Seven. I have them in 223 up to and including 7SAUM. Only the contours differ..................

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Thanks a pant load guys. [Big Grin]

Looks like daddy is gettin' a SAUM! [Smile]

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One caution in fitting a Rem 700 stock to an action it was not originally made for: The forward action screw hole goes all the way through the front action ring. I tried switching a stock once and found that the new stock was not quite as deep (thick) as the original, allowing the action screw to go deeper into its threads and actually protrude through the ring and bind against the lower (right) locking lug. This is easily cured by grinding a little length off of the screw, but you need to be aware of this possibility.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote