THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What about Winchester model 88's? Sako Finnwolf?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do any of you have experience with either of these rifles?

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
<philinms>
posted
Win M88 rifles were made from 1955-1973. The design was relatively expensive to manufacture and this ultimately lead to their demise. They have become at least somewhat collectable with examples bringing $350-1200 depending on caliber and condition. I have previously owned one in .308 and currently have one in .284.The .308 was a below average shooter; but the 284 normally stays in 1-1.25MOA three shot groups with handloads. You will like the short lever throw and the way the rifle handles. You may not like the trigger and not much can be done about it.If you do decide to buy one, examine the stock carefully for any cracking around the recoil lug at the action rear. Also remember that many parts are not available for these rifles and repairs can be expensive. If you are not necessarily into shooting or hunting with older rifles, and are looking for a short throw lever action that handles the higher pressure cartridges, you might be happier with a Browning BLR. Sorry no experience with the Finnwolf.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response. I found a very clean pre-64 .308 on Gunbroker that is shooting 3/4" groups. I hate to take the action out of the stock since it is shooting so well. It is really a slick gun, although the trigger is very spongy. I also have an original BLR in .308 and a model 81 BLR in 7mm-08. I love the BLR. My first rifle was the original Belgian made BLR in .308. The trigger on my current BLR .308 is 4#'s and 4 1/2#'s for the model 81. Both are crisp and clean. I also have a Savage model 99 made in 1937 chambered for the .300 Savage. You talk about a smooth operator--and the trigger breaks very crisply at 3"s from the factory.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Sako Finnwolf was a very nice lever action rifle but expensive to make and at the time their money was valued quite high against the dollar.A friend who owned a Win 88 had nothing but trouble with it. When the stock cracked he had the stock repaired and sold it to buy the Sako.He used the Sako for years with no trouble that I was aware of.To get one now may be a different story. Where do you go parts now?? If you want a trouble free lever rifle for higher pressure cartridges I would suggest you get a Savage 99

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote