New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Checkering Cradle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
That is a nice one, did you find that in a magazine and are there any plans for it that you know of?

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is another picture. I do not have any plans as I did not make it. It was owned and used by Maurice Ottmar.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is basically the same as Customstox except it is held in a vice by a ball (trailer hitch ball) and is all metal on square pipe...I don't know who made it but it is a really nice unit to use.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the way it holds the forend through the inletted part of the stock instead of friction method at the tip.....I'll look at it a little closer and see if I can reconstruct it from the picture..Do you have any closeups of yours, Ray?

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
srt, The swivel on the cradle at the base is a trailer hitch ball on a tractor hitch. I will post a close up of the arrangement later. Notice the locking nuts and the old mauser bolt knobs that Maurice welded on for tightening.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
srt, I saw a checkering cradle built using two connecting rods and a piece of pipe - the crankshaft end matched the piece of pipe and, when thightened, held firmly. The devices that held the stock on the wristpin end were hand made. The cradle held firmly with no play. An automotive machine shop could direct you as to what rods have a 2" ID to fit the pipe to start with.

Posts: 376 | Location: Farmington, NM - USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Bowling Ball Cradle that Gringo posted a picture of was made by Jack Crawford. He has a website. Do a google...

Quote: If you'd like measured drawings and written instructions for constructing a cradle like mine, send me a check or money order for $10.00 along with your name and address, and I'll get them off to you.

Jack Crawford
621 Lawrence Dr.
Haughton, LA 71037

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SRT,
I will take a photo and email it to you sometime this week..I might even sell it to you if your interrested as I have not checkered a stock in about a year or more..Just don't have time anymore.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THE GUY THAT TAUGHT ME TO CHECKER HAD A NICE CRADLE BUT , HE DID MOST OF HIS ON A COULPE OF BIG SAND BAGS ON A TABLE. I FIND ITS EASYER FOR ME TO . DON'T FILL THE BAGS VERY TIGHT WTH SAND AND AND JUST BURY YOUR STOCK DOWN IN THEM. ITS A REAL SOLID CRADLE...............

DON'T TRUST A MAN IF HE TELLS YOU A FORD IS BEST.
HE'LL PROBLY LIE AGAIN.

Posts: 181 | Location: virginia,usa | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote