THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lengthen the mag box or? on a Kimber 84M?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Strange dilemma. I have a Kimber Classic 84m in 338 Federal. I've got it shooting 160 grain Barnes TTSX bullets lights out. Problem is the length of the magazine is too short to accommodate them. I can get two in the box, but they won't feed due to the steep angle.

Love the gun, love the caliber, just don't want it to be a single shot!

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
This is the problem you will see

Open your bolt....you will see the bolt doesn't go past the mag box enough to lengthen the box

I thought about doing this with an 84M some time back and quickly decided I couldn't

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good smith should be able to lengthen any box and modify the bolt stop to match..I have not examined the Kimber in detail but its design is that of a mod. 70 as I recall...It would probably be best to open it up in front and in the back both..I do that modification to all my Mausers and of course its a snap in a mod. 70 win.

My worst complaint against gunsmiths and firearms manufacturers is when they cut a long thoat for a short magazine, that is just ignorant and shows a lack of knowledge...A magazine should match the throat or the chamber of any rifle, surprisingly few do however???? homer .

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Based on this, am I better off just setting the barrel back and re-chambering to shorten the throat?

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No you don't want to do that, it would be even more counter productive..you need to open the magazine, recut the bolt stop, to match the throat. I usually cut the throat out a bit but it sounds like you have a long throat and short magazine box..Check with a good gunsmith.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mr. Atkinson, I'll be making a few phone calls and making up some dummy cartridges to send along with it.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken, the OP mentioned that they won't feed due to the steep angle which suggests that the bolt is picking up the case just fine and then pushing it into the forward magazine wall. I wonder if the feed rails could be relieved enough to allow the round to point upwards a bit sooner. Duane Wiebe is the rail/feed guy on here that first comes to mind.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5172 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote