New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reshaping a CZ-550 stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Somewhere inside the finely grained wood and bulky contours of a CZ-550 factory rifle has to be a wonderfully lithe, eye-pleasing, fast handling and elegant stock.

The rifle is very accurate but so uncomely to shoulder and handle.

Who might be a really good guy to reshape the stock, paring away the excess wood, with refinishing and recutting the checkering?

Thanks in advance for the advice

Posts: 152 | Location: West of the Mississippi, East of California | Registered: 23 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Not only is there a better shape inside there, there is also a good chance there's a lot prettier wood under the finish. I did this to a 550 in .458 Lott a few years ago and found that the factory finish had seriously masked the underlying grain and figure.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
I've done this with several stocks (not C-Z's)but have looked over quite a few of the C-Z's and like most stocks it is "made up of extra wood" and has pleanty of material to lovingly reshape.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and found that the factory finish had seriously masked the underlying grain and figure

-occurs with some frequency; I've seen the factory finish referred to as "mud".

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I did mine myself! Big Grin

I believe jsl3170 just had Dennis Olson refinish his CZ's stock. Hopefully he'll see this thread and chime in.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote