Find
Notify
Tools

Aperture sight options
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello Friends,

I'm looking for a peep sight for a mauser stopping rifle project. I don't want to cut the stock for a Lyman 48 (upsets the lines), the Williams guide receiver sight is aluminum (steel only, please), and bolt peeps are too close to my face with the bolt open (shoulder-cycling stock-crawler).

This leaves the Lyman #35 and... what else? My eyes are too bad for me to be confident with express sights and a scope on a big bore doesn't appeal.

Any thoughts would be welcome

Posts: 25 | Location: Detroit,MI | Registered: 30 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
XS Sight Systems (formerly Ashley Outdoors) makes a ghost-ring peep for the mauser. Mounts on the rear bridge in same place a rear scope mount base would be. Brownells has them for $60. All-steel and adjustable.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Jim Brockman makes a pop-up peep sight out of talley QD bases. It's available for the 1999 action and m70 action, I bet you could have it modified. Check it out Pop-up Peep Sights Hope this helps.
Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're building on a Mauser, check out the Mojo sights. If memory serves correctly, www.mojosights.com.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is simple enough to build a base for the rear ring that attaches like a scope base, slotted for a peep sight...vertical adjustment is done by using a partridge NECG sight and filing the top down, and windage is drifted either way in the peeps dovetail slot...

This is unobtrusive, very strong, and works like a charm...and it is not at all expensive.

Or use a talley rear base and his attachment assory peep..or Jim Brockmans pop up peep on a Talley rear base.

Lots of option out there...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote