New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me LH Model 70 in 7 X 57...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a custom LH Model 70 Classic in 7 X 57 by (I think) Joe Bautz. Has a 23" Krieger barrel, Blackburn trigger guard, and pretty decent wood. I like it, but it weighs 8lbs. 11 oz. on my scale with the scope. The barrel is a pretty heavy taper.

I would like to find someone that does quality work to slim the stock, turn the barrel down, do some contouring on the TG, and smooth the feed. Ideally, it would be about +/- 8 lbs with the scope (currently a Swarovsky Z3).

Care to recommend someone who will improve this rifle into a lighter weight sporter for general hunting in North America and Africa?

AT

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just send it back to Joe with your request.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron Little came to my rescue. Sending the rifle off to him next week.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how would you rescue the stock if you turned the barrel down?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is he going to do about the barrel inletting if he turns the bbl down? Is he going to put a step in the bbl? I've got a similar situation. Whatever he does, I'm sure it will look and feel great as all his rifles do. He is a true craftsman and artist. Please keep us informed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A piece of matching wood (called a 'dutchman') is inletted into the barrel channel, which is then recut. I've had this done on other rifles.

posted Hide Post
Some before and after pics would be of real interest! Sounds like a great gun, btw.

Posts: 51 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 14 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pat Brennan:
Some before and after pics would be of real interest! Sounds like a great gun, btw.

Perhaps Aaron would oblige us with a couple of photos.