Notify
Tools

Dakota barrel on Sako action????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
Hi,
I'm trying to have a Dakota .375 H&H barrel put on a magnum L691 Sako action.
I don't have either part in hand to measure them.
Is this possible or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Thanks,
Kyler

Posts: 2509 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Kyler - Interesting. Dakota does not make barrels. They use Lothar-Walther barrels. You can get these straight from L-W. For more information go to http://www.lothar-walther.com/us/.

If you are pulling a barrel off a Dakota action and want to simply screw it into a Sako action you will need a little gunsmithing work on the barrel. Not a big deal, but not plug and play either.

IF this is what you are attempting, I would suggest that you leave it alone. The Dakota action is light years better (quality, strength, function) over anything Sako.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick answer.
I don't have the complete Dakota (or I wouldn't mess with it).
I just wasn't sure if the diameters were close enough to even attempt it.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Kyler - What action was the barrel originally fitted for? Before you say �Dakota�, there are several Dakota actions with different dimensions.

In any event, you should have enough barrel material to fit the Sako action. Find a quality gunsmith in your area and take components to them. A quick measurement will tell you what you can and cannot do.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin] Hey Kyler! You buy a barrel from the classifieds, and then try to decide if it fits? [Wink] Sounds like something I would do.

The barrel on my Dakota 76 is a Lothar-Walter. I bet you a nickel that if you called Mark Penrod@Penrod Precision (260)982-8385 he can make it fit. A quote from his flyer:

"The process of installing rifle barrels by Penrod Precision includes inspecting the action, squaring the receiver face, bolt face, and lapping of the locking lugs as necessary prior to fitting the barrel. All new barrels are polished prior to installation. With our special method of chucking a barrel in the lathe, we are able to indicate the barrel on top of the rifling lands. The indicating is done at the breech end where the throat will be cut. All indicating is done to a tolerance of less than .0001" (One ten-thousanth of an inch) with an indicator graduated in 50 millionth increments. The barrel is then threaded and the chamber area is precision bored and finish reamed. This method results in chambers cut in concentric to the axis of the rifle barrel where the bullet enters the rifling and finished chambers with a total indicator runout of less than .0001". The quality of the chambering is now equal to or better than the quality of the rifle barrel, offering you the highest degree of potential accuracy possible. Finally the barrel is crowned, installed on the action, and fired."

Mark did all the accuracy work on my 375HH Model 70, including setting the factory barrel back and I'm very happy with his work. [Big Grin] Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote