THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

want to rechamber 458 lott to 460 weatherby.
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone know a gunsmith who can rechamber my ruger#1
to 460 weatherby.SSK will not do it for me.Any other
suggestions?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why did SSK decline your request? Are you going to Jurassic Park?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
john which is ssk's owner said he would not do it. I dont
know why.He build 577 nitros and other big bore cal. but
not the 460.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two reasons I will not rechamber a No. 1 barrel to 460:

One: Barrel shank is 1"-16, most of us gun plumbers believe this is too small for big diameter cartridges.

Two: Pull the rib off a No. 1 barrel and remove the dowell pins. Take a look at how deep the two screw holes and the dowel pin hole are in the chamber location. I can almost see daylight on a 458 Win barrel when looking down in the holes. Ream out to 460 and the autumn breeeze likely will blow through. Sort of like the way a flashlight will put a beam through a Georgia Boy's head when shined in one ear.

But,if you are going to actually pull the rib, you gotta be careful or you will screw it up. Dowell pins are usually real tight. When pulling a No. 1 rib, I use an old set of Ruger rings, put them on the rib, and place a section of 1" diameter bar stock in the rings and clamp everything down. The bar stock has a 3/8" tapped hole for my slide hammer. Remove the rib screws, and a couple taps of the slide hammer gets the rib off. Then you have to fight the dowells to get them out of the barrel, usually damage them in removel and have to put new ones in. I have had to drill and tap a dowell to pull it out, makes me think the boys at Ruger are using three pound hammers to seat the dowell pins.

I know, some one will chime in and say they have a No. 1 barrel in some huge cartidge.

Some guesses: 460 rim may not be trustworthy with the extractor. Big rimmed cases may work better. Another thing: They are putting a new barrel on when going to another bore size, and do not have the artesian wells drilled into the chamber area.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
John
I saw the ruger #1 at accurate powders web sight in
a mpeg movie. It was a #1 rechamberd to 460 weatherby.Would
it be possible if i installed a new barrel?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Would it be possible if i installed a new barrel?

It should be fine with a re-barreling job versus a re-chambering job, although it is hard to believe that a re-chambering job cannot be done. Having a 460 WB with a No.1 is one thing but to shoot it with a full power load is another...make sure you have a better butt pad installed while you have some work done on it.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ming, you missed the artesians in my post, go back and read about the holes over the chamber area.

(Artesians: Worse than a Sasquatch!)

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, have you built a "Sasquatch" rifle yet? I'm sure the list of special features designed only for Sasquatch hunting would be an intersting read.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Just do a rechamber in 458 lott...

or rebarrel for 450 rigby.

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks John for pointing that out! It sounds like the dowel pin holes are drilled too deep into the barrel. I wonder if they are all like that or it was just a couple of isolated cases. What would you do if you were to re-barrel and re-mount the quarter rib? Thanks John for keep us informed about some of these things!

Quote:

Hey Ming, you missed the artesians in my post, go back and read about the holes over the chamber area.

(Artesians: Worse than a Sasquatch!)

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just another thought John...If those factory dowel pin holes are a problem then we will likely to have a problem with the 458 Winchester and the 458 Lott factory chamberings as well, don't you think? Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
460RUM?
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This brings up a great time to ask a couple of questions....first of all I have heard that the #1 with black pads have the dowel holes drilled deeper than the older ones with red pads...is this correct? Also are all the holes drilled the same depth? In other words, is a #1S in .218 Bee drilled the same depth from the top of the barrel as is the .338? If so, there would be a lot more "meat" over the .218 chamber, obviously. Also John Ricks raised the question about too large a cartridge for the barrel shank...how about the factory .416 Rigby? I am not trying to be a smartass here, just wondering. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1664 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should look at the 358/378 over at Realguns.com. They've got a rebarreled #1 in 358/378 Wby. Joe (the owner) ended up with a real slick rifle. He describes the whole thing in detail. It would be worth looking over if you're willing to do a full rebarrel to get your 460 Wby.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote