New
Find
Notify
Tools

BlackBear #4
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Iam thinking about building a blackbear #4 rifle out of a whitworth express 7magnum rifle with the old cz Fn type action from interarms.What caliber would be easy to do with a rebarrel on the old action without much work?Theres not any flys on the 7mag, but i have a couple favorites in that caliber allready.I really like ,8mm Rem.magnum,300wby.,338magnum and 375H&H.and have experiance with these cals.Which one would you pick of these choices?And why?They are all like grabbing a tiger by the tail when cooking one off.And are fighting rounds for me anyway,I aint to scared of nothing with these babys and a well placed round! thumb

Iam kinda leaning towards a 338 but feel like the 375h&h could load down to 338 levels with 250gr.bullets.And if i feel like rocking and rolling could allways jack up the power with full house 375H&H 300gr. and shoot elephants or runaway express trains! thumb
What barrel maker do you guys recommend ?
I want to have necg express sights and 24in.barrel.I have give up on the dakota dream rifle for now,figured i could build a working hunting rifle for less and not worry about scratchs on a fancyxxx stock,Will the 338 & 375 cost more as in bedding and recoil lugs,etc. for recoil and is there/could be a question as to my walnut stocks strength being strong enough for the rounds?I know a lot of cz stocks have cracked lately........
Thanks in advance! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you go with .338 mag., .375 Steyr. or the .375 and .416 Taylors would be ok. The 375 h&h & 8mm Mag length cart. would require more conversion of the basic action mag. length, feed problems and of course as you say nothing wrong with a 7mag.

Posts: 95 | Location: Baker, Louisiana | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,The 338 is one of my favorites for the past 12years.The last one i had broke the stock from recoil.Every thing i ever popped with it went down now!The taylors seem to have a great following,I thought of those and the 400whelen.I guess i could just load my own with those.I think i would really like the 376steyr as well.......and could buy factory ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
After reading joseywales post,I think i will just sell the whitworth and regroup.Will be cheeper and less hassle in the longrun....
and like vapo says when you go to resale you lose on all those add ons/extras more than not......