New
Find
Notify
Tools

BLR Rebarrel/Rebore
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a new BLR, in 300 Win Mag. It is the takedown model and I am chasing an extra barrel. The factory barrel is stainless, and the extra is from a Lighting (non takedown model).

They are close. The lighting barrel extension has a bevel and is about 0.005 inches in diameter too large. Internally the major and minor diameters are the same.

First the barrel extension needs to be turned down enough, so that the barrel can be mounted and checked for proper bolt lockup. Then a local gunsmith is willing to cut the notch and add the button. The button indexes the barrel to the action, while the notch is engaged by a rising bar that holds the barrel on.

It appears that the button is only for indexing the barrel before the rising bar is brought up to hold the barrel in position. So it could be made of brass, or a soft steel. It could be braised, welded or screwed into the barrel, the notch is the important part.

So, what do you think? A workable solution? The barrel could later be replaced or rebored, to my caliber of choice. I will follow this post up, with a new discussion of replacing the barrel.