Find
Notify
Tools

Howa 1500 bolt recall
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
I sold my brother an Interarms 1500 some years ago that may sell be in this recall. The link is dead so I'm guessing the recall is also.

Not like he is EVER going to take the bolt down anyway, but I would like to know more about this.

Recall Notice

"Howa Machinery Ltd. of Japan is performing a safety upgrade on all Model 1500, 1550 and 1700LS series rifles manufactured between 1970 and 1993.
"The affected rifles bear serial numbers from one of the following series on the receiver: PN00010 through PN87159, LS00001 through LS05150, M000001 through M020422, LS10001 through LS10309, B000001 through B028450.
"The safety upgrade will replace the bolt sleeve to prevent misassembly of the bolt, which might occur on affected rifles. Such misassembly might result in a hazardous condition in which the rifle can be accidentally discharged without the bolt being fully engaged, causing severe injury.
"These rifles were distributed by Smith & Wesson, O.F. Mossberg and Sons and Interarms. These rifles may bear the distributor trademark.
"Stop using your rifle immediately and visit our website at www.regen.com/howa or call Howa at 1-800-456-5131 to receive a Bolt Return Kit.
"Only the bolt sleeve is being upgraded. Your bolt will be returned to you after the upgrade.
"NO OTHER HOWA RIFLES ARE AFFECTED. CHECK YOUR SERIAL NUMBER

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
While it was never recalled...

In Australia, many actions have a small hole in the action that results from over cutting a groove for the bolt release lever underneth

While I don't believe it ruins the integrity of the action it does look cheap and nasty.

If you own one, pull the bolt out and look at the action at the top of the rear tang just past the trigger shear on the left side. If you see a hole, that's because the groove that was cut from underneth has been cut too deep and it's broken thru.

I'm suprised I haven't heard more about it. I've seen heaps of HOWAS with this cosmetic flaw.

Actually if enough people with the hole in the action got overly upset about it, it could nearly result in a massive action recall and fix, not that too many people would worry about it.

Actually my local gun store has three or four new guns on the shelf that have the hole it it.

If you want me to post a picture I'll put one up of my 416 Ruger on the HOWA action, it's got the hole in the action

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote