New
Find
Notify
Tools

M54 Winchester extractor
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm told a pre-64 M70 extractor will interchange. True? (I need to replace the one on my .30-30. Someone before me changed the angle on the leading edge, it push feeds from the magazine and extracts normally but won't jump the rim when cartridge is inserted in chamber manually.)

Million dollar question: Does anyone here have one they would part with?

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a yes or no. Depends. Very early M54's had a different extractor. The "A" suffix serial number 54's have the sane as a M70. There is no 30-30 standard in the m70. I don't know which extractor may work as the 30-30 had a flat breech. I am guessing that they went back to well for m54 parts for m70 sp order 30-30's.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have heard that the very early Model 54s used the same extractor as the 1903 Springfield. I do not know whether that is true. They did use the same firing pin as the 1903 Springfield.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3844 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. It's late and I don't want to get into it tonight anymore, but a quick comparison to a 1903 Springfield shows that it may well work, although the '03 extractor is a bit shorter than the 54's.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1917 Enfield is a known emergency fit for pre 64 Win 70's.

Probably a pre 64 Win 70 Magnum extractor or even a current production M70 controlled round extractor would be the one. The flat breech / coned breech only really differs in the cone breech needing an extractor cut in the barrel.

ETA: The manually snapping over a single loaded round is a dead sign of an early M54. You will have the same issues with a Springfield or Enfield extractor. Try a current model magnum or just be sure to strip from the magazine with what you have. You can always sell the new one if it doesn't work. It wuld be handy if someone let you try their magnum extractor, either pre 64 Win 70 or recent (current or Classic) controlled round feeds

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The M54 extractor for the M54 in 30-30 is one of a kind.

They machined that special due to the longer hook needed than the 30-06 case.

YOu may have to find someone mico welder to redo the hook shape.

JW

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. After trying several approaches, that was the conclusion I arrived at. I know the M54 .30-30 extractor can jump the rim for direct loading into the chamber. I had another one of these years ago which I used for cast bullet competition that performed like that.

Next question: anybody here do micr-welding? If I have the thing welded up I can dress it with my Swiss files. (No Dremel tools here!)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact butchlambert on here for the details/contact for I believe accutig in WA state?