Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser 98 .223Rem?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted
I´m allways thinking about a new target rifle. Since a few month I mean the .223Rem would be the "best" economical round for me. I have so many rounds, old and rare, a few only to reload.
My budget is very small at the moment and so I canceled my wish about a Remington 700 with 5-R barrel. I have a target rifle, a rebarreled M700 Sendero with special Lothar Walther Match barrel. I very satisfied with this barrel, and so I have the idea to build a .223 target rifle. The Problem is only the action. Used M700 actions with .223 bolt head are very rare. But my dad have a few M98 actions and so I have the idea to convert a M98 action to hold the .223Rem. It should be a single shot rifle, with closes magazin port.
The only "bigger" converting must be done at the bolt head. Is this done befor? Can a Sako extractor be install?

Thanks,

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FN made a very few 222 bolt face bolts. I have also seen guys silver solder washers to the bolt face for 222 conversions. 223 and 222 are same bolt face but I only ever saw the conversions 20+ years ago. They make blank extractors which can be trimmed to anything from 22 hornet on up.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Guys used to do it but I have not seen it done for quite some time. You can mill off the front of the bolt and solder a washer on, like he said. Too many good, new, rifles now for cheaper than you can build one. But I never discourage projecrts if you want one. In this case, just buy a Savage and use the 98 for something with the same or bigger, bolt face. Can a Sako extractor be installed? HMMM; most 98 bolts are pretty hard up there. You would have the original extractor cut on the bolt that would look funny. You might need an extractor cut in the barrel. And as stated, you can use a blank 98 extractor anyway. It is a definite maybe.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm...., I see. Many problems and a few new questions.
So I mean it would be better, to choose a round with the standard rim diameter.
There´s only the .308Win, you get a wide range of factory ammo.
"Interesting" is the 6mm BR, but this round you must reload.
Hmmm.....
Or I save my money and buy a .223 Savage single shot in the future. ~1500 Euro........

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There are lots of rounds using the standard .470 head diameter. If you want a .22, go for the 22-250. For a good 6mm go with the 243 or 6mm Rem. 260 Rems are good; that is a 308 necked down to 6.5mm. Can't beat a 7x57. 358 wins are good. Many more.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Old 95/96 Mauser and 250 savage.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Martin!.

Der endlösnung..ein H&W kurz system, nur spitzenklassen...kein alternativ Big Grin

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Das Kurzsystem arbeitet nur für die Kaliber .243 Winchester, .308 Winchester, .22-250 Remington, .300 Winchester short Magnum und .270 Winchester short Magnum.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for our replays.
Especial for the H&W idea..... Wink
But first, it should be a target rifle, the "smaller" brother of my .300Win Mag.

Also a magazin isn´t importend and I can only buy single shot rifles with my permit.
And I´m chronically bankrupt, so it was my idea, to take one of the used M98 actions from my dad. I know, the "best" would be on of the Savage target rifles in .223Rem, with short twist.

But at the moment I haven´t so much money.

But I have a lot of ideal...... Big Grin

Martin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about .22 BR? Good Lapua brass, good accuracy.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
What kind of target game are you playing? Highpower rifle, mid-range prone, of F-class? The Savage Palma rifle can be special ordered in 223 Rem with a 1-8 twist barrel for about $1400. A better rifle cannot be built for less cost.

DR #2276, P-100 2021

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy as savage. it well save you a whole lot of money over a semi custom or custom build. Unless you can do the work yourself.

I have 5 or 6 savage varmint guns and they all are very accurate.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
What kind of target game are you playing?

I´m mostly shooting only at max. 100m. Different competitions, prone, sitting with benchrest or with bipod. As I bought my .300Winni with 19 years, I was allways very optimistic, that I can often shoot at 300m+. But this ranges are very rare here in Germany. And the army ranges are mostly restricted to max. .308Win.
This years I was the first time since over 10 years at a 300m range, aprox. 150km away from munich. And so my next target rifle with scope, I have many "older" target rifles with tang sights, should be a smaller, more economical chambering.

quote:
The Savage Palma rifle can be special ordered in 223 Rem with a 1-8 twist barrel for about $1400. A better rifle cannot be built for less cost.

quote:
Buy as savage. it well save you a whole lot of money over a semi custom or custom build. Unless you can do the work yourself.

I have 5 or 6 savage varmint guns and they all are very accurate.

1400 would be a nice price, but the F-class is priced here in germany between 1700 and 2000 Euro.
Hmmm....

Martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK.

Full size Mauser 98 in 223.

Not really a problem IF YOU can find a FN 222 extractor.

What FN did in the mid 50's, was simply face off the lip of the 30-06 bolt. then machine a new 222 size recess x ,050" deep. The RH side of the bolt head edge, was raduised to clear the extractor hook. It was then safety breeched as the extractor hook was now longer than the bolt head.

That was the single shot receiver.

Now to get one to feed from a full size action takes some well thought out metal work.

An insert is made from .040" material, in the shape of an AR 15 magazine top section, complete with feed lips. It is attached to the inside front of the magazine box. Another strip of metal is attached side to side at the rear of the insert to keep things in place.

A Remington 700 magazine spring for the 223 is used

I normally made a Mauser type follower the correct size for the 223.

Slight tweaking and every thing works slick as can be.

There are several of these conversions floating around that I had done in the past.

J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
There are lots of rounds using the standard .470 head diameter. If you want a .22, go for the 22-250. For a good 6mm go with the 243 or 6mm Rem. 260 Rems are good; that is a 308 necked down to 6.5mm. Can't beat a 7x57. 358 wins are good. Many more.

The 257 Roberts is also a great small caliber round that feeds excellent with no alterations on a Mauser action. At least mine does..

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
And one of my favorites; I have two of them they are so good. 257 Roberts I mean.

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions.
I mean it would be the "European" Version of the 6mm BR. The 6mm Norma BR, with longer throat and shorter twist.
http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd6benchrestnorma.jpg
Ammo and brass is easier to get, here in Germany. The Norma 50-round-box is priced with ~100.-€.
And it´s a "standard" chambering for the Lothar Walther match barrel.
http://www.lothar-walther.de/184.php
But first I have to sell this idiotic .358 Norma Magnum project .....

Martin