THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Winchester m70 problem after custom work was done.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester m70 problem after custom work was done.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
I hope somebody can answer this one for me. I just got my Winchester M70 delivered from UPS this morning. It was chambered for a 7mm Rem-Mag and I had it rebarreled to a 300H&H. The magazine box spacer was removed a new follower was installed, the bolt stop was trimmed back and the ejector was modified so loaded rounds could be ejected without hitting the bullet tips on the front ring during ejection. I also had him lighten the trigger pull.

Everything works beautifully as far as the feeding and ejection are concerned.

The only problem is maybe once out of 10 times when the bolt is cycled, The cocking piece doesn't catch and the rifle will need to be "recocked." My suspesion is problem lies in the trigger adjustment.

What do you guys think? The guy who did the work will be out of touch for a few weeks

[ 06-05-2003, 00:59: Message edited by: TC1 ]

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Not enough sear engagement. Unsafe and may go bang when you close the bolt :-( and OH HECK.

Posts: 12 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
TC1--

That's called a "Follow Down". It's caused by the trigger failing to support the sear when the firing pin spring load is applied.

Check a few things before taking it back....for warrantee work.

Make sure there' plenty of clearance for the trigger to move freely in the stock and the trigger guard. If the trigger hangs in the rear position there's nothing to catch the sear.

Make sure there's enough return spring on the trigger. Half the total trigger pull should be spring and half should be mechanical friction.

Take the action out of the stock and make sure the big-headed sear pin is seated all the way. If the sear is wompy-jawed it can't catch the trigger hook and a follow down can happen..

Whatever you do GET IT FIXED!!. It's IMPOSSIBLE for it to heal itself. Somebody has to do it. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Well, It was the sear pin. The "teeth" that hold the pin in were just barely touching the action. I also introduced a little more over-travel back into the trigger. The trigger breaks at about 4lbs with acceptable over-travel. I cycled the bolt about 50 times and everything is fine now. It's off to the bluer tomorrow.

Thanks Jack and Ihance, You saved me a couple of weeks on the project. Terry  -

<G.Malmborg>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
I also had him lighten the trigger pull.

4lbs, ain't exactly light...
[Eek!]

Malm

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G.Malmborg:
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
I also had him lighten the trigger pull.

4lbs, ain't exactly light...
[Eek!]

Malm

No it isn't, but anything lower and it ain't safe. I wanted it at about 3lbs, but when you bump the butt of the rifle on the ground the trigger doesn't hold. I think about 4lbs is as far as I'm gonna get and still be safe. If I want anything lower I think I'll need some aftermarket support, Timney, Jewel ETC. I'm no expert on this this, but that's where I'm at with it and it does work. Terry [Confused]

[ 06-05-2003, 15:43: Message edited by: TC1 ]

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Oh yea,,, He may have had it a little lighter, but with all the adjusting I've done to it, that's where it is now. Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well at least you can progress with the project for now. You can probably live with a 4 lbs trigger - and should you decide you need it lighter, you can always put it in for another round of adjustment, or an aftermarket trigger if that takes your fancy.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote