Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms Coating ????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted
I want to get the muzzleloader barell of my Thompson Center Kathidin and my Marlin Guide Gun coated to protect against rust. I used to live in CA where it was mostly dry. Now I live in Northern Maine where is seems to either rain or snow almost year round.

I would like to know if any of you guys have had any guns coated and how they held up.
If you could provide web sites or other contacts that would be great also.

Thanks again

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had half a dozen guns coated for inclimate weather, and I'm impressed with the process.

The best coatings are the polymers which are sprayed on and then baked in an oven, causing them to melt into the pores of the metal.

Falcon Gun is the business I use the most...friendly, fast...best work I've seen (cosmetically and durability).

He did a 300 Dakota Mauser for me that looks like an exceptionally nice bluing job, and another Mauser in a 375 wildcat in olive drab that manages to make a camo stock look good.

I want to try some of the silver colors he has that give a stainless look (or replicate a matte chrome).

You and I will long be worm food before the coatings wear off.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
http://www.lauerweaponry.com/

I have used this on several rifles and it is easy to use with a low investment for tools.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Also consider KG Gunkote, I've just tried their air day stuff that just came out. Can't tell about how well it holds up yet but it's easy to spray with a small airbrush. Their regular heat cure holds up very well, I've had it on a custom mauser for 3 years now with no signs of wear or damage.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac has done two for me. Gunkote holds up
very well and is abrasion resistant.

http://www.shootiniron.com/

Cerakote works too,

http://www.fit4duty.us/

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Metalife hard chrome. It looks like a matte brushed stainless finish and stood up the longest of all finishes against the continuous salt spray test. While most finishes failed with less than 100 hours exposure and the rest soon after, Metalife was still showing zero effects after 300 hours. I have a Ruger M77 in 35 Whelen done in this finish and it has been to some very wet places with no ill effects. The cost is reasonable as well. I had mine done 10 years ago for $140 while other finishes were $180+ so its worth checking put. If you like black then check out the Black T by Birdsong.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had Mac Gunkote a rifle for me this summer and it held up "ok" for a recent 16 day hunt. Not bulletproof by any stretch of the imagination, but did a good job of covering a stainless/titanium gun. If you want maximum corrosion protection on a CM gun, I would look somewhere else. I think other coatings are more durable, especially around hard edges and wear points.

But when it comes to GunKote, I am sending any rifle I have done that way to Mac. Very fast and easy to work with. I wish my customer service was as good as his!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rainman1882
posted Hide Post
I'll throw in a vote for Lauer. It's very easy to do yourself too.

Posts: 120 | Location: eastern montana | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote