THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    need a gunsmith for small project ....please read

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need a gunsmith for small project ....please read
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
older 1886 shows 2 extra holes drilled (sloppily) on left side of receiver. I need these holes filled somehow - such that the result is reasonably inoffensive. Thanks.
Alex

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Contact Dan Armstong at Accu-tig.

Accu-tig

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, will do.
My concern involves finish.....a weld will fill holes, but subsequent buffing will alter metal appearance for some distance peripheral to holes. Will I run that risk? And if so, would it be preferable to have larger holes drilled/tapped, followed by insertion of screws to fit?

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Of course welding up the holes will alter the finish. You will need to polish and re-blue it, then it will all be the same; the welds won't show. I usually put screws in the holes and melt them in rather than filling the holes with rod. There is no way to fill the holes and retain all the finish; TIGing doesn't affect the surrounding surface much, but is still melting steel. The option of peening a screw into the holes and polishing them flat is a slipshod method. I suppose you could just install plug screws either in the existing holes, or larger, cleaner ones....

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Of course welding up the holes will alter the finish. You will need to polish and re-blue it, then it will all be the same; the welds won't show. I usually put screws in the holes and melt them in rather than filling the holes with rod. There is no way to fill the holes and retain all the finish; TIGing doesn't affect the surrounding surface much, but is still melting steel. The option of peening a screw into the holes and polishing them flat is a slipshod method. I suppose you could just install plug screws either in the existing holes, or larger, cleaner ones....

The last idea seems to me....to offer the least bother to the surrounding metal. I do not want to re-blue. The existing holes ....and their immediate vicinity are messy. Slightly larger holes could be drilled, then tapped to receive flat-head screws, that would either have been pre-blued, or cold blued,,,,,the current finish is weak in any case...and cold blue would likely be inoffensive.

One of Us
Picture of Curt in Atl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Slightly larger holes could be drilled, then tapped to receive flat-head screws

Hidden in plain sight.

Should be able to find some that replicate what's already there.

Posts: 37 | Location: Douglasville, Georgia | Registered: 10 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curt in Atl:
quote:
Slightly larger holes could be drilled, then tapped to receive flat-head screws

Hidden in plain sight.

Should be able to find some that replicate what's already there.

Trouble is that the metal immediately around the holes is buggered....looks like a meniscus .....need that raised ring gone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Story:
I had traded (via AR) a Krag stock to "J.D. Steele" in anticipation of his undertaking the project. We had an agreement. I sent him the stock, Then the gentleman passed on. So, I am back at square one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are they tapped now

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, tapped now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you just find a nice looking screw that fits them now.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote