Find
Notify
Tools

308 in 307 chamber!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
After seeing these both cartridges drawings i can conclude that a 308 win can be chambered in a 307 win rifle. my question is how dangereous it could be if it happenes! the 308 has much higher working peressure.
regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
In this country where the .308 Win is considered a military caliber, owning one carries a lot of red tape. Hence, the .307 Win (= sporting caliber sold freely) is becoming quite common as it takes only minor modifications of the extractor to convert a rifle originally chambered in .308 (and keeping it working both ways... [Wink] ). Now, .307 cases are hard to come by and still those guys manage to get lots of shooting. It could be they resort to an expedient [Roll Eyes] . Of course, I'm referring to bolt action rifles.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Andre
I wish winchester chambered a rimmed 3006!!then you can be able to shoot a real 3006 in it [Big Grin] in France and belgium.
regards
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Danny,
while the 307 is rimmed, it's headpspaced off the shoulder.. there was a batch of "cheap" cannon/breach style pistols going around, that were cahmbered for "308 and 307"... yes, it will fit perfectly and fire... it prolly wont eject in a lever gun....

i once saw a guy with an interesting key fob... a 416 rem SPILT and ruptured... he had fired it in a 416 rigby... <beavis voice... DUMBASS> ... he hadnt read the barrel and stuck in the wrong round... ruger #1, fwiw.

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
While the .307 is loaded to somewhat lower pressures than the .308, if one were to inadvertently fire a .308 in a M94 chambered for .307, I doubt if the shooter would be killed. But I would not advise doing this on purpose. However, .307 level loads could be loaded into .308 brass, and then the only question would be "does your extractor pull 'em out after shooting?".