Find
Notify
Tools

Serengeti AA blanks/stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted
Anyone had a stock made with one of their blanks graded AA? Just curious to how they grade on figure etc., I looked at the blanks on their website but really hard to see detail.

I've been contemplating one of their stocks for a Sako TRG-S.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 885 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Not very good photos but here they are. AA Bastogne. No finish applied, wetted a little bit with alcohol.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
My experience with Serengeti is 100% positive. I went up there and picked out the blank. One thing I've noticed is darker woods turn out better as laminates IMO. I would also pay attention to the color of the slices, the closer they match from a view that shows them the better the stock will look when it's cut. If you find a few blanks you like maybe they can send a pic showing the slices. I ordered the stock for a Model 70 and there was a mix up and it was cut for a MRC, they sent me another along with this one to make up for it and went above and beyond the call of duty with the replacement. I think it'd rate AAA Bastogne. It was a gift for my brother in law and he's thrilled with it. Here's a pic. I sent it back to be checkered after I finished it and they did a outstanding job. The only thing I'd like to see them change is how they price Claro, it should'nt be the same as the others. Rob

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Dempsey,

Is that a Pachmayr, G&H, or London guns pad on that rifle?

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
It's a Pachmayr.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently received my finished AA from Serengeti and I couldn't be happier. The rifle is now with my gunsmith being blued.

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just received my rifle from Serengeti and it is everything I expected and more. It started as an MRC stainless short barreled action in 376 Steyr Serengeti pick it up directly from MRC. They gave it their Serengeti treatment added New England front sites. Talley bases with special Brockman peep site attached. The stainless was also coated and it was stocked in a SS Bastogne blank. It is 8#4oz without the scope which is a Leupold 1-5 x4 30mm Euro. The trigger breaks like glass and the stock is really beautiful and handles well. While I have not shot it yet due to lack of time and bad weather I expect to do so in the next few weeks. I sent MRC 6 dummie rounds of Swift A-Frames and Barnes X's with an OAL of about 3.0 inches for the chamber. It feeds very well and I was surprised that it holds 4 in the magazine and one in the chamber. Another surprise is a round will feed off the magazine without securing it in the magazine. I went hunting with Rod and Larry from Serengeti last year and they are really good guys. I will post a picture if I can figure out how to do it.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got my pre-64 Win Mod 70 back from Serengeti and they stocked it in dark AAA walnut and it almost too good looking to hunt with, but I will. They did a superb job, I picked out several blanks on their site and they went thru them and helped me select the color and figure I wanted. I believe you will like dealing with them

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rcasto-

That's a real beauty. What Serengeti pattern is that? I have been trying to determine if I like their pistol grips or not but, yours is really nice looking.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30 Cal:

The pattern I believe is called the Merlin.

Thanks for the compliment.

RC

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I had a stock made up by them last year, and couldn't be happier. It was advertised AAA Claro, and is loaded with color, figure, swirls, fiddleback, and is straight grained where it needs to be. I've seen stocks like this classed as Exhibition on other websites. I also had them glass bed the action, add a Pacmeyer Decelerator Pad, do the stainless barreled action in a flat black coating, standard checkering, and modified tung oil finish. It looks great, and shoots great. It's a Mod. 70 in 375 Ackley Improved, in the Merlin configuration. I'll do business with them again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of Black or Claro (California cork wood) but these blanks sure are laid out correctly and they look very nice...I prefer Turkish and such as its easier to work with, checkers better and is lighter and stronger..and not a lot more money in the XX grade of quarter sawn...I got a claro stock blank from the late Tony Barnes, and it was older than me and was harder than woodpecker lips so I made a stock for my 6/223 (6x45) and it has served me well and even took 24 LPI checkering, I think that is about unheard of for Claro... It has that beatifull red color and is full fiddleback..I like that one..but have not found another blank like that one...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote