New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x64 to 280 Remington
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 550 FS that is 7x64 (should have got 7x57), and I am thinking that the supply of 7x64 is drying up, and I can't afford to buy a whole bunch at once so I would like to have it cleaned up to to 280 Remington. The 280 seems to feed OK.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
going the wrong way...

buy 100 pieces and load down to 280, the brass should lost for ever
AND be cheaper than a smith redeuxing
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will never have to worry about the 7x64 drying up. It is the Euro equivalent to the .30-06, and is just as popular. I have yet to walk into a gunshop that doesn't stock it, either by US companies or Norma.

It is bit constricted by your short barrel, but should still surpass the 7x57 in performance.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I assume you realize that in most rifles, changing the chamber from 7x64 Brenneke to .280 Remington is not as simple as just running a .280 reamer into the chamber,... if you want it done properly.

The problem is that the 7x64 chamber at the shoulder is already longer than the .280 Remington at the shoulder, so the barrel would have to be set back a couple of turns to completly clean-up the old chamber. (7x64 CIP max at shoulder is 2.0276", while SAAMI .280 Rem is 1.992" long at shoulder.)

That's no big deal for a person with a lathe, but it does prevent those without lathes from just buying or borrowing a .280 Rem reamer and an extension, and doing it by hand.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I quess I will stick with the 7x64 or sell it. Not wanting to change the lines of the FS 550. I have heard that you can form brass from the 30-06 (there is a small sholder formed when you neck down), and fireform.

I need to think about it. 7x64 ammo is not for sale anywhere in Austin Texas. Remington and federal have discontinued it. S&B has it, but nobody here seems to be able to or want to order it. By contrast 9.3x62 seems to have taken off here in the US.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I guess I would have the exact problem here of getting 280 Rem ammo. The 7x64 is so common here. When I've been to the range I see so much 7x64 brass lying around. Not many reloaders here.
I feel for ya!

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Why can't you just order 100 cases (or more!) from one of the reloading supply houses?

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Try Graf & Sons, online. Bob Graf almost always has one or more brands of 7x64 brass in stock at pretty darned good price.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote