THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The effect of rifling twist on pressure ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does an increase in the twist rate have much effect on the pressure?I know it's a hard question to answer with all the variables in barrels.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
The quick answer is yes, faster twists will raise pressure do to greater force required to make the initial turns in the barrel. I E overcoming the minimum resistance necessary to make one revolution. This of course assumes all other factors to be equal.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought it would,common sense.Real question is ,I guess , how much per inch of rate increase, a lot or within the the normal variations.Loading a touchy cartridge can be a bit unsettling at times

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Logically the answer is yes. However, from my experience with the .223 I haven't been able to prove that. I've built several .223 rifles with barrels from 1-9 twist to 1-14 twist and logically I should have been able to achieve better velocity with the 1-14 twist barrels.

Statistically that hasn't been the case......so far...

Or at least I haven't been able to measure it.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote