New
Find
Notify
Tools

G33/40
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I walked away from a 1942 G33/40 sporter today priced at sub $400. Stock was an old bishop and that was the extent of the bubba job. Serial numbers were matching on the action and barrel, but the bottom metal and bolt were of a different but matching serial numbers for those parts. Kept thinking of the money it would take to make it a true custom .257 Roberts or similar cartridge deserving of that action. Since it wasn't numbers matching I wasn't sure I wanted to locate an original stock. Not sure I should've walked on it but like I said potential, just not sure what way to go on it.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Most mauser actions are trashed by some IDIOT with a swiss army knife and a subsctiption to your favorite gun rag thinking he can put the scope base holes in the right place.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
Most mauser actions are trashed by some IDIOT with a swiss army knife and a subsctiption to your favorite gun rag thinking he can put the scope base holes in the right place.

Wasn't drilled and tapped, original sights on the carbine length barrel. Since z1r is so close it would have eventually made a trip to him.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That 33-40 should be put back to military condition. I have stocks. Even without matching bolt, they are not common rifles; worth more to a collector than for a sporter.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's sub $400 you should walk right back and snag it before someone else does. I'd say you could easily get the $s back out of it if you wanted to, and maybe even make a buck or two.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Great price for an un molested 33/40.
Would have made a great custom rifle.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's not forget that Mausers were a dime a dozen, literally, "back in the day", and G33/40's only slightly more expensive. The value of most, if not all model Mausers, was determined by their utility in making up a sporter. Don't be too harsh on the Bubbas of the world who treated them as such a generation or two back. The craze for collecting originals of that genre is a relatively recent phenomenon.

Heck, I still look at M98 Mausers in the light of how good they are as the basis of custom rifle projects. The only reason I would hesitate to dismember a pristine G33/40 for that purpose is the crazy stupid money they fetch these days.

I always thought it was poetic justice to take weapons created by one of the most heinous regimes in human history , and create a work of art out of them that has utility in 'peaceful' applications.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
E-mail me with where it is and I will drive down and pick if up to save you from your self.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Imho sub $400 for just a 33/40 receiver not DT would be a bargain - not to mention the matching barrel. --- John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gnoahhh:
I always thought it was poetic justice to take weapons created by one of the most heinous regimes in human history, and create a work of art out of them that has utility in 'peaceful' applications.

I never considered that angle. Well said!

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$400 and i didn't even get to see it CRYBABY CRYBABY CRYBABY

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
quote:
Originally posted by gnoahhh:
I always thought it was poetic justice to take weapons created by one of the most heinous regimes in human history, and create a work of art out of them that has utility in 'peaceful' applications.

I never considered that angle. Well said!

I've always said, turning surplus military rifles into fine hunting rifles is a realization of the "Swords into plowshares" adage.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote