New
Find
Notify
Tools

Faulty Safety on Late Mod. Sakos
 Login/Join

<Harry>
posted
There is a safety problem on the current Mod 75 and TRG Sakos. It effects most likely only 20% +-
of the guns manuf. in this series.
It has to do with allowing the firing pin to fall foward just a bit but enough to dent the primer.
The round may or may not go off according to many things however the firing pin did move enough to dent the primer every time.
With an empty rifle drop the bolt handle while holding the trigger. The same way you have done for years to take tension off spring while gun not in use and so you do not have to click the trigger on an empty chamber when putting the rifle in the rack.
Now see if the rifle will go on safe...if so...most likely faulty.
Note....NOT EVERY RIFLE IS FAULTY.
This is NOT a problem on the Pre 1972 (pre Garcia) era rifles.
Yes, Beretta / Sako now knows about it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeez, first Remingtons, now Sakos.....Model 70's are looking better all the time!

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry: Thanks for the heads-up. I know that anyone who has a Model 75 will appreciate the opportunity to check out their gun.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted Hide Post
Well Harry , i'm one of the 20%. noticed this did this twice on me at range after about 100 shot's out of my new, sako 300 ultra 75 s.s. mine doe's not discharge, but it doe's strike the primer. Gun is only 3 month's old, it's going back to dealer's and i hope Sako has no run-A-round about it. The only problem is having it back before moose hunt(4 week's) That won't probably happen. Thank's for the head's up on Sako knowing about it, now to see if they do anything about it. Rick.

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
With an empty rifle drop the bolt handle while holding the trigger. The same way you have done for years to take tension off spring while gun not in use and so you do not have to click the trigger on an empty chamber when putting the rifle in the rack.

Harry,

I know lots of people do this but IMHO it's a very bad idea that it is an invitation to a negligent discharge It brings together two seperate actions cycling and firing that when tired or stressed (both situations which occur in hunting)may be reverted to without thinking when one merely wants to chamber a round.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894:
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:

Harry,

I know lots of people do this but IMHO it's a very bad idea that it is an invitation to a negligent discharge It brings together two seperate actions cycling and firing that when tired or stressed (both situations which occur in hunting)may be reverted to without thinking when one merely wants to chamber a round.

Then don't do it yourself. Thousands do it every year, year after year, without a problem.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 75 works fine. But then, it may be because it isn't new enough.

This is no big deal. Send it in, have it corrected, and be done with it.

It's funny how people get their panties in a twist over a small defect on an $800 rifle, yet tolerate much worse quality from cars costing 30 times that.

BTW, Harry, how can the firing pin move any further forward by placing the rifle on safe, once the pin has been released by the sear?

This doesn't sound like a safety problem at all.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote