New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a .221 Fireball!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I´m in the middle of building a .221 Fireball for a customer. It´s on a Sako Vixen action that use to have a .222 Rem barrel in it. The original barrel is replaced with a Hart SS 1-14" barrel. This is the first .221 Fireball I´m around and I think the little round looks really good and I suspect that it could be a real tackdriver with the proper bullets.

Any coments on the cartride?

The action is just out of the lathe with trued face and locking areas. I´m waiting to get the reamer from Pacific Precision so I can get the rifle up and going.

I only know about Remington brass for the .221 FB so I recomended the guy that own the rifle to form cases from Norma or Sako .222 Rem cases. Any other suggestions?

Stefan

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just but Remington cases.
I don't see the need to fireform anymore now that factory brass is available.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
SCR.

Yes, but Remington cases isn´t exactly my favorite solution for a rifle that is suppose to shoot small groups.

The Remington brass I have been in contact with have been close to crap.........

Stefan

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Stefan,

I've had problems with different batches of Remington 221 FB cases. Some batches are great, some are horrible. I started forming mine from Winchester 223 cases using the Redding form die and trim die and have not had a single problem since.

Good luck,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have avoided Remington brass like the plague for decades. I suppose they make some good stuff now and then, but it was not a consistently good experience.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I haved two 221's, one based on a CZ527 and a ZKM465. I shoot only 40 gr Vmax and chose to go with
zero leade on the reamer I got from Precision Grinding. I also have had the problem with the quality
of Remington brass. I prefer to run .222 brass into a 221 trim die and shorten the brass. Then I run
it into a Redding bushing neck die. I do not turn necks. This formed brass is much better and the
neck thickness works well with the chamber dimensions I chose. I have tried using 223 brass but found
the necks to be a bit thick for my chamber. It is also mush easier to start with 222 rather than 223 brass.
If anyone finds a good brand of 222 brass I'd like to know about it. So far I have only used Winchester
brand 222 brass.

Once you use a 221 Fireball you will wonder why anyone bothers with the stinking 22 Hornet. I really
wish more people knew about the .221 Fireball. It is an excellent round for a walk-around varmit rifle
and a good example of that is the CZ527 in .221 Fireball. Great rifle for under $500 retail and comes
with a single set trigger.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I´ll keep track of the guy that going to use the rifle and keep you uppdate about the experiments with Norma and Sako .222 Rem. cases he plan to form his .221 cases from.

I´m getting a bit interested in a .221 Fireball myselfe, the little round does have a great deal of charm Cool

Stefan

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefan:
I´ll keep track of the guy that going to use the rifle and keep you uppdate about the experiments with Norma and Sako .222 Rem. cases he plan to form his .221 cases from.

I´m getting a bit interested in a .221 Fireball myselfe, the little round does have a great deal of charm Cool

Stefan

Stefan,

Another fun round is the 22 and 20 VarTarg. Essential a 221 FB with more dramatic shoulders.

Kory

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Hej Stefan!

Good to know where there is a .221 FB reamer in Umeå! :-)

I too am impressed at how quiet and efficient this tiny cartridge is. I'm quite happy with my .222 Rem, but... Well, you know! Smiler

jpb

quote:
Originally posted by Stefan:

Stefan

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well jpb, it´s not all that much work involved in chopping the barrel an make a .221 FB chamber Wink

Stefan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stefan: Twelve years ago I bought my first 221 Remington Fireball Rifle!
It is the Kimber Ultra Varmint model. I could not be happier with it! Like mentioned by others this cartridge is quiet AND it is accurate and efficient! I have taken all manner of Varmints with this Rifle from Ground Squirrels to Crows to Rock Chucks and on up to Coyotes.
A few year back I bought another Fireball Rifle this one a Remington 700 Classic. Again this Rifle is quite consistent in its accuracy and I was easily able to find accurate loads for it. This inherent accuracy is bolstered by testimony from my many friends who own Fireball Rifles! I have several friends that have simply rechambered various factory Rifles barrels (mostly 223's!) to Fireball! All have noticed increased accuracy from the conversion!
But the most accurate Fireball Rifle I have seen is one owned by a Dentist friend of mine. This Rifle is a factory (limited run) Remington 40XB-KS! This rifle has the heavy 27 1/4" long stainless barrel. I have seen this Rifle shoot several times in person and the accuracy is simply superb!
I heartily endorse the cartridge!
Both my Fireballs use Remington 221 Fireball brass. Again I am more than happy with the accuracy produced using the Remington brass.
I would suggest your customer try the Remington brass first and see if he is satisfied with the results! I know I am satisfied with it and the brass life is apparently of the "forever" variety!
I have never even considered the extra time, effort and expense involved in reworking the various 222 Remington brass that is available.
I hope your customer is happy with the Fireball!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I ever seem to hear on AR is how bad Remington brass is.
I have not used any of the new bagged brass, but I have always preferred Remington over Winchester because I find that Winchester cases can be too brittle and Remington a bit softer.
This is especially important to me because I have some calibers which require fireforming.

Am I the only one who does not have a complaint about Remington brass?

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Spencer,

I've ran into batches of Remington that have been excellent and batches that have been very poor. I can't say Remington has been consistantly bad.

Kory

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the guy that I´m building the rifle for have picked up some new Remington .221 FB cases. I´ll report about them compared to the reformed stuff when the gun is up and running!

Stefan

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Am I the only one who does not have a complaint about Remington brass?

-Spencer

If I process a new batch of brass and chamfer the case mouth inside and out, de burr the flash hole, sort by weight, cull the irregular neck thicknesses, I find Rem brass not as good as Win brass.

But if I just load and shoot, I usually get groups just as good, and Rem brass is just as good.

So when I buy brass, do I have a favorite?
You bet, Win over Rem.
The real facts of accuracy are burried in the noise of out of control variables and we run on superstition.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote