Find
Notify
Tools

Ted Williams
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted
A co-worker just ask me if I was interested in a Ted Williams 30-06. Knowing only that they were sold by sears I thought I would ask if anyone knows what action this is?

Thank You, John

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think they were commercial mauser actions.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

Winchester

Roland

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
both Roland1 and Walker are right. Sears used both actions. I bought two of the Winchester based ones. The floorplate was kind of weird but I put them in different stocks with Winchester bottom metal. I haven't actually seen the Mauser one.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
I guess I will have to see what he wants for it. If worse comes to worse I can use it for a project to give to some kid whi doesn't have a rifle..

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm not completely certain but i thought the mauser actioned models would have been "j.c. higgins". i've never seen a ted williams that wasn't a post-64 M70 but i could be wrong in this. best don't mention money till you see it.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
J.C. Higgins Model 50 & most Model 51 rifles used commercial FN Mauser actions (the Deluxe on the M50, mostly Supremes on the M51), and were built for Sears by High Standard. Ted Williams rifles used push feed Winchester M70s, not nearly as desirable.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
If it is a push feed I will probably let it pass..

Thanks for all the information, John

one of us
posted Hide Post
Correct - post-64 M70 push feed

Roland

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just as Ted Williams (a real person) succeeded J.C. Higgens (a fictitious person based on a real person's name, or so the story goes), Ted Williams was briefly supplanted by Catfish Hunter as the "signature" brand of sporting goods from Sears. I don't think that the "Catfish Hunter" brand ever appeared on a gun, but I have a Sears gun case with the "Catfish Hunter" signature.

I have no idea whether the real baseball pitcher, Catfish Hunter, was much of a sportsman, but I guess with a name like that, Sears just couldn't resist a pitch from Catfish's agent.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
J.C. Higgins was not a fictitious person. This from the Sears archives:
http://www.searsarchives.com/brands/jchiggins.htm

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Just as Ted Williams (a real person) succeeded J.C. Higgens (a fictitious person based on a real person's name, or so the story goes), Ted Williams was briefly supplanted by Catfish Hunter as the "signature" brand of sporting goods from Sears. I don't think that the "Catfish Hunter" brand ever appeared on a gun, but I have a Sears gun case with the "Catfish Hunter" signature.

I have no idea whether the real baseball pitcher, Catfish Hunter, was much of a sportsman, but I guess with a name like that, Sears just couldn't resist a pitch from Catfish's agent.

If my memory serves me correctly "Catfish Hunter" was indeed an avid fisherman, hence the name "Catfish" was added to his real last name Hunter.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sears also offered rifles on the carl gustaf mauser actions as i had a 30-06 on it. going off recollection from 25+ yrs ago was a standard length small ring and at the time the only thing i could find like it was the carl gustaf.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A co-worker just ask me if I was interested in a Ted Williams 30-06. Knowing only that they were sold by sears I thought I would ask if anyone k

Sears also sold Ted Williams fly rods. I know a guys who still slays big Salmon with them.

Posts: 142 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 09 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've still got an old Sears/Ted Williams 7 1/2 hp outboard.Actually,a couple (for spares) of them.Not a bad little motor.I just don't go too far,and plan my trips so the tide will carry me back, "just in case".Read an article about catfish Hunter a year or two ago.Seems his manager made up the nickname on the spot,when he was signed.Believe he's suffering from some strange sort of degenerative neuromuscular disease.Dave

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote