New
Find
Notify
Tools

montana ph and granite magnum actions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
can someone tell me where i can get a picture of these two actions on internet ,i have looked but cannot find right site ?.does anyone know of a magnum mauser action being made in New Zealand?

Posts: 148 | Location: brisbane australia | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kos-

Attached is a link for the Montana Rifleman web-site. They have some renderings of the PH action; no pictures yet as they are working on proto-types.

http://www.montanarifleman.com/whatsnew_2.html

As for Granite Mountain, I don't know if they have a web presence or not. In one of the recent issues of "Precision Shooting" or "The Accurate Rifle", the Granite Montain actions were featured in an article.

I, myself, am waiting on the Montana PH.

Good luck!

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kos,

I don't think that Granite Mountain has a website.
All I have seen regarding this action has been on
470 Mbogo's (Dave Estergaard's) website

http://www.470mbogo.com/GMA.html

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always thought that Granite Mountain and Wells were the same. Wells

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KurtC, they are the same. Fred did the design work on the action. Okay Mauser did the initial, Fred did the current stuff. Granite Mountain builds them and both sell them.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why the comparison? I can't imagine the target market being similar.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why the comparison? I can't imagine the target market being similar.

I'll say! At those prices, the market for the Wells actions must be oil barons and CEO's of Fortune 500 companies!!! [Eek!]

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
<RussT>
posted
While Mr. Wells did the design work for the Granite Mountain action and may sell them, the actions on the web site are hand made from 8620 bar stock one at a time to the customer's specs. The actions are similar but can hardly be considered to be the same.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder why did Fred use this low carbon steel instead of the more common 4140 alloy steel? Any insight? Thanks.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
8620 is a very tough alloy specifically designed to be case hardened. So while I'm not specifically familiar with the Wells actions, I'd still be willing to wager a small sum that if they are being made of 8620, then the actions are case hardened post machining.

Regards,
Scott

Posts: 117 | Location: Sierra Foothills, CA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Scott for the info. Apparently, he must be duplicating the same metallurgy as the 98. Cheers!

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote