New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock recheckering job - need recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Folks, I have a small recheckering job and I thought I'd post this out here to try to get some recommendations. I've got a stock off of a Rem 721 that I need to have recheckered. I can refinish it myself, but I want the checkering to be done by a professional. Problem is, I'm impatient. Is there anyone who can do this quickly? If not, I guess I'll wait. Just thought I'd atleast throw that out there as a criteria.

Regards,
Tom

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pat Taylor, Canby Oregon, 503 266 3684, tell her I sent you, then duck, lol.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be sure and refinish BEFORE you rechecker.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Refinish before rechecker... hmm... well, what's the easiest way then to get all of the old finish out of or off off the existing checkering?

Also, about Pat, any idea what her backlog is?

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
If you intend to retain the factory original checkering pattern and point it up after refinishing, use a toothbrush or fine wire brush with paint/epoxy remover. If you plan on a new pattern, the old has to be sanded off, along with the rest of the stock, prior to adding the finish.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gotcha. Ok. That's what I needed to know. I'm going to keep the existing checkering. I've been putting off this project for a long time and I'm ready to go ahead and get it done. Want to get the rifle put back together this year!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can also cover it with masking tape. some finish will get under the edges but it will be minimal.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote