New
Find
Notify
Tools

Std Ruger 77 converted to 375 H&H
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In the January 2004 Rifle magazine, Dave Scovill tells about Bill Atkinson (worked with Ruger for 20 years) converting a standard size Ruger 77 MkII to 375 H&H by changing out the magazine box and follower from the larger Ruger Magnum rifle and moving back the bolt stop and ejector then adding a Shilen 375 barrel. He describes it as a minor effort. His interest in having it done was to make a lightweight 375 H&H (seven pound - four ounce).

My interest is in having a left-hand Ruger in 375 H&H, 416 Rem Mag, and 458 Lott. The Ruger Magnum is not available in left-hand, but this would allow the laminated-stock left-hand stainless in 300 Win Mag to be easily converted to the longer cases.

What do ya'll think ?

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer, I'm with ya on this one. I would love to see the Ruger magnum rifle made in left hand but for now I think it would be cheaper to just order a MRC long action. The S.H.O.T. show should be interesting this year. There were some rumors among the wholesalers that Ruger has several new rifles that they are going to unviel. Lets hope one of them is the left hand magnum.

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I think that all of their "new" rifles will be the ones that they're chambering in the new .204 round.

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fjold,

It isn't Christmas yet. We can still hope.

Hammer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I read the article and had the same thoughts as you on the lefty .375. I do not believe it would be cheaper to buy a MRC action. The magazine, follower etc were not very expensive either. I like the idea and may have to try it. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lone Eagle,

One other consideration is that left-hand Rugers can be bought any day of the week. Every store has them. Assume the box magazine and follower are just a FedEx truck away when ordered from Brownells.

I do have some left-hand MRC actions on order and do look forward to their delivery -- but practically speaking they are not currently available.

Hammer

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
I would LOVE to see Ruger offer the Magnum action in LH...........I'd order a 416 Rigby right away!!

Converting a standard LH action to 416 Remington is an interesting idea. Does anyone actually have an idea of what the estimated coast would be?

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote