Find
Notify
Tools

Spiral vs. Strait Fluting on a bolt?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am curious. I know that gunsmiths flute the bolt to reduce weight, but is there a functional reason for spiral verses straight fluting? It seems to me that spiral fluting provides a more direct channel for crud to get into the magazine well, where properly positioned straight flutes would not. Straight fluting would also be much easier to machine, so is spiral just for the cool factor?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, cool factor.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 831 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never played with a fluted bolt, but my impression is that a bolt with straight flutes would tend to hang up or pull sideways the top round in the mag. As the bolt is turned, the shell is going to rise into the flute and then get pushed back down. That can't be good for smooth operation. With a spiral flute, the shell would be pushed down at all times, but I imagine it might rock a bit. The spiral flutes I've seen tend to be wider than the straight ones, which I think reinforces my position. I could be all wet, but from where I'm sitting I would think the spiral would be preferable (functionally) if you are going to flute to save a fraction of an ounce or join the cool kids. I can't imagine any reason to flute to improve function or accuracy. Maybe if you dump a pile of sand on the action a fluted one would bind less but I've never seen any evidence of that.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as way once said but changed to fit the subject
Only anew orleans pimp would think spiral fluting was anything but ugly and worth less

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
As gzig5 stated, straight fluting can cause cartridge "ratcheting" as you open the bolt. This is why most people prefer spiral fluting. I will only cut straight flutes on single shot bolt actions for this reason.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gzig5& h2oboy are correct unless the straight flutes are properly sized they can cause issues. Got a custom action for a 223 once, had straight flutes that were too big, it would lock the action when the 223 round slipped into the flute.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The flutes are to cut weight. Straight flutes are shorter so less weight is cut. This is what I was told anyway.