New
Find
Notify
Tools

Singleshot Engraving
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for ideas on engraving a nice singleshot rifle project. The action will be color case hardened. Can't afford the Bulino type engraving and am not interested in tight,full coverage scroll work. Relief work, typical of the Germanic style is probably out of my league as well.

Was thinking about a nice border with some light scroll work descending from the border, more detailed in the corners with some around a ribbon, oval or circle in the center with the gunmaker's name centered.

Any thoughts, ideas, comments, pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will this be a falling block type action, or break open?

I think your ideas sound good. Some nice border work with scroll in the corner looks great, and depending on your budget you can have a central “rosette†done as well.

Personally I’d rather have the gunmaker’s name on the barrel than in the centre of the engraving pattern, but that obviously is very much a matter of choice.

How about this example – J.Haugh rifle. Picture from the Westley Richards gunroom.

Hope this helps.

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heres a #1

The World Would Be A Happier Place If Everyone Owned At Least One Ruger #1.

Posts: 71 | Location: Behind the Orange Curtain, Kalifornia | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stu C:
Will this be a falling block type action, or break open?

I think your ideas sound good. Some nice border work with scroll in the corner looks great, and depending on your budget you can have a central “rosette†done as well.

Personally I’d rather have the gunmaker’s name on the barrel than in the centre of the engraving pattern, but that obviously is very much a matter of choice.

How about this example – J.Haugh rifle. Picture from the Westley Richards gunroom.

Hope this helps.

- stu

Thanks, Stu. The rifle will be a Hagn falling block.

The engraving on the rifle you linked is very nice and very much like I had described.

Very nice.

Mntngoat,
The No.l is nice, but I think I will stay away from animals on this one.

Much appreciated.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mntngoat:
Heres a #1

Is it just me or does that sheep look like he's smiling?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DPhillips:
The rifle will be a Hagn falling block.

I love Hagn actions, but I'm on a Ruger budget for my current 7x65R project. Our engraving ideas are on the same wavelength though Smiler

For what cartridge are you having yours chambered?

I guess you've looked over the engraved rifles on Hagn's website. I love looking at the Westley Richards gunroom. There're always great photos of beautiful rifles posted there.

I also find ideas at the Sothebys and Christies auction webpages. Their catalogues always yield a few gems along the way. Christies has its next Sporting Guns auction 14 Sept while Sothebys has one in August. Usually the catalogues are online 3 weeks to a month beforehand.

I've been thinking about this Danl Fraser rifle since I saw it a few years ago at Sothebys

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SDH,
Thank you for the pictures, I've been referencing your book a lot for this project. Very nice work. And yes, not only will the rifle be shot, it will be hunted with.

Stu,
I've been confusing myself for over a year worrying about the chambering. I'll settle on one, then find something not quite right about it. I do know it will be a 7mm something. Am leaning toward the 275 H&H Mag (utilizing .284" bullets) or the 7x75 Vom Hofe SE.

The Fraser rifle is a wonderful specimen. I really like that.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. Would still appreciate more if anyone cares to offer anything else.

Thanks again