New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best looking gun coating
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What coating looks the best on stainless steel? I want to build a Alaska/Africa .375 HH and wondering what finish looks the best?

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We use RIE in MN, they have several finishes and colors, I have the matte black on a Ruger .25/06 and their satin (shiny) black thin-coat really looks like high-quality bluing. Very tough, rustproof, and works fine on stainless. Just don't let them get any in the chamber!
Call Daryl at 320-453-8311, tell him Walt sent you.
Walt H.

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use flat black high temp BBQ paint. You can buy it at Home Depoit or Lowes for ~$4.50 per can. Take the rifle out of the stock and degrease it and spray it on. Take out the bolt and put a rag in the breech. I spray the end of the bolt and bolt handle, but not the inside of the action.

Before I discovered this I spent a couple hundred bucks having a stainless steel M-70 classic teflon coated. Well the teflon coating started wearing off after a couple years, so I spray painted it and it looked just like the orginal only a lot cheaper. The paint will wear off after a couple of years, but I just spray it again. Have two stainless steel M-70's that I have done this to. I can send you pictures if you would like to see what they look like.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Duracoat in H&K Black. I just did my M70 Classic FWT that has a blue receiver and stainless barrel. The H&K black is not as flat as matte black; it has a satin look. Looks very nice. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently had my stainless rifle hard chromed and I'm pleased with how it turned out. I used Accurate Plating & Weaponry. It took about six weeks for them to turnaround my gun. I got the matte finish.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EDMHUNTER:
What coating looks the best on stainless steel? I want to build a Alaska/Africa .375 HH and wondering what finish looks the best?

www.bearcoat.com The FBI Matte Black.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built a gun for someone else that I spray can painted Rust-oleum on the stainless barrel.

I had the camo colors, and I used just the black.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=124

True Value:
1916830 - Black
1917830 - Khaki
1919830 - Deep Forest Green
1918830 - Earth Brown
1920830 - Army Green

The can cost $4 and it weighed only 2 ounces less after one barrel, so this is a cheap process for materials.

It contains Toluene.
Me and Toluene go way back. I associate it with expensive paint that gives a headache and a bad high.
Toluene is in paint that I would paint a motor cycle frame with, not in a paint for painting a kitchen.

I do not know how durable it was for the girl I gave the rifle to.
The painting was fast, easy, and cheap to do.
It looked good.
I did not get cancer from the Toluene, yet.

I sprayed it outside, with the wind at my back.
I spun the barrel in the lathe and polished it with 320 grit.
I cleaned the barrel with liquid detergent and a tooth brush, and rinsed with tap water.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I'd go with Balzer's WC/C. Stuart Satterlee can do it.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I sprayed a couple of rifles with the Krylon flat black in their Camo line of sprays, looked as beautiful as many matte blue jobs I have. Prep is everything!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
New Guy-Can you tell me more about the type of finish you described. I googled it and couldn't find much. Love how it turned out on your rifle. Still can't get over those torx receiver screws either.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yeah new guy, that looks awesome. was that on stainless?

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I had the stainless barrel of my Duane Wiebe built martini done with Falcon Coat. It looks very much like a low gloss blue.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
I had the stainless barrel of my Duane Wiebe built martini done with Falcon Coat. It looks very much like a low gloss blue.

Tip Burns does a QPQ "bath" it is damn hard and looks like bluing.

He QPQ a piece of a barrel and thru it into the yard for about 5 months. Brushed it off and it looked like the day he had it done. It cost about $~300. Its a good looking long lasting finish. I'm sold!

www.burnsgunrepair.com

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the best finishes that I've seen is by Falcon Gun Finish.

http://www.falcongunfinishing.com/falcon/index.php

I have their finish/coating on several rifles.
On an all weather rifle, I had them do parkerized base (on the bare metal) followed by an olive drab polymer over that.

I also have a black polymer finish on a 300 Dakota Mauser that looks like high luster bluing.

It's pretty durable too, so one treatment will do for a lifetime of hunting.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote