THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mcmillan stock worth waiting 6months for?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys,
I'm looking at restocking a Rem Model 7 & looking at the rifle stocks on the market. I really like the look of MCmillans edge light weight but a 6month wait seems crazy. Is it worth the wait or am I just as well served by an item from high tech specialites, lone wolf or maybe even a Rimrock?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even with the wait I prefer the McMillan or stocks from Manners Composits. The Manners stock is made the same way but all contain carbon fiber. The manners stocks have typically been running a turn around of around 2-3 months for me. You just don't have quite as many options as you do with the McMillan.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is a Mcmillian worth the wait???

Yes.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Is a Mcmillian worth the wait???

Yes.

+1

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received my McMillan Edge stock earlier this year after waiting 6 months. The installation was top-notch and the fit is perfect on my Montana Rifle .257 Roberts. One thing I did notice is the felt recoil on this stock is more than other composite stocks. Luckily I have a relatively low kicking cartridge, but the recoil pad on this stock is thin and hard compared to other stocks I have. If your Model 7 is a 300 RSAUM, then I might choose another stock. But if it is something mild like 7mm08, then no problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't the reality that there is in fact a 6 month wait, testament in and of itself, to the overwhelming opinion that the stocks are worth the wait? Food for thought.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAS II:
Isn't the reality that there is in fact a 6 month wait, testament in and of itself, to the overwhelming opinion that the stocks are worth the wait? Food for thought.

Not really. People were lined up at the courthouse the other day to vote early, and by all appearances, they were voting for Obama.

Back to the original question. After looking and shooting a friend's McMillian stocked rifle, I would say yes.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the mcmillan website - they have quite a few stocks that people ordered then never picked up IN STOCK. This is how I got the stock for my MRC 375 H&H. I even had them paint it a different color, and it took like 2 weeks to get.

Ok so I just checked the website and they have a Model 7 stock, not an edge in stock.

Posts: 90 | Location: Where the rivers run north...MT | Registered: 09 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the only stock worth 6 months wait would of course be a beautiful piece of walnut Big Grin dancing banana

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote