New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have a M99, need help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought this M99 "Model 1895" 75th Anniversary Commemorative. It was evidently used as a hunting rifle. Someone removed most of the original brass plating on the lever and left it bright steel. I'd like to have some pitting/rust addressed and have the lever blued or casehardened. Any suggestions on who could help me out with this?

-

-

[ 06-17-2003, 03:43: Message edited by: swampfox ]

Posts: 128 | Location: East Central NC, USA | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take the lever off and send it to Doug Turnbull for case coloring, or any number of people can hot blue it.

Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rob!

Posts: 128 | Location: East Central NC, USA | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I checked out Doug's site and it looks like he is into the really nice stuff. Full restorations and all. Since this is not going to be restored w/ brass, I think I may just go with a blued replacement lever.

Anyone know what series lever will fit this rifle? I think it was made in the '70's but it has the straight lever bow with sliding lever safety. It has an internal brass rotor mag with cartridge counter.

Anyone have a source for a lever that will fit?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage Mod 99A, but I'd just have one of the many gunsmiths who case harden do the lever...It wouldn't cost much and that lever is fitted up to the gun....

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a plan.....any takers?