Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Warne Mounts
 Login/Join

posted
A friend has managed to strip the threads/snap the screw head off on his existing mounts and is looking for a replacement.

He has a CZ 537 (yes, thats correct model number)in 30-06 and I think its will take the same mounts as the more modern CZ 550. We don't have any decent gunshops near by so mounts will have to be bought by mail order...

After ringing around, its seems the choice is between Warne or Millet Mounts...I am not sure which style Millets but my friend is leaning towards the Warne anyways.

I am assuming the Warne will attach directly to the CZ rails milled into the top of the reciever and not require sperate bases??

Is there anything I need to know about fitting Warnes?

I know they gernerally have a good reputation, but the one time I tried them on my Sako, I had no end of problems with the wedge shaped rail "splitting" them a part under recoil, basically it was stripping the threads on the screws...and this was only on a .308Win too!

I am hopping he won't have a similar problem as the rails on his rifle are parallel...

So anytips or hints with regards the fitting of these mounts would be appriciated...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I returned a set of Millet mounts for my Brno 602 -- they had a LOT of parts (too many!) and just didn't look up to handling .375 H&H Mag recoil.

I have a pair of Warne Quick Detach rings on this rifle now. No problems at all.

B-Square is now making "Lynx" quick detach mounts that fit the CZ. I just got a pair to fit my Sako and they look very simple and sturdy (I haven't mounted them yet though).

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Hi Pete - I tried the Milletts on my 550/9.3x62, and they didn't work out so well. The tab that's supposed to fit into the machined recess at the rear ring base was a lot smaller than the recess, so, the scope moved under recoil. I've seen other guys mention that they didn't have the same problem, but, they weren't using calibers with the 9.3's recoil (not that it recoils a LOT, but, definitely more than a 30-06, as an example). On my rifle, I ended up with a set of Talley's (perfect fit, superb craftsmanship), but, I have Warne's on numerous rifles, and if the ones they make for the CZ are anywhere close, they'll work great.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey'
Talley rings,similar to Warne.I think they are better quality.Use them on all my guns(Sako Actions)www.Talley Rings.com
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Warnes on CZs (Brnos)and they have been OK. I think any of these rifles can benefit by the addition of a recoil stop of some sort. A piece of 1/8 keystock soldered into a 1/16 groove cut across the bridge works well. I have also put shoulder at both ends for hard kickers. In a 30/06 you should have no problem. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3763 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote