THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vanguard MOA Trigger Adjustment Instructions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents,

A friend is in need of instructions. He paid a gunsmith to replace the spring with a lighter one and adjust the trigger, but he is still very unhappy. Too much creep and a very rough pull.

From searches on the web, it seems like the sear needs to be stoned. No problem.

But what is the proper procedure for reassembly and adjustment of the screws?

I have not yet worked on a Weatherby trigger, but am very comfortable with it if I have the right instructions.

Thanks in advance.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have a MK V SBGM and did my own trigger job but I dont think they have the same trigger.

My Weatherby is hands down, the worst trigger of all of my rifles.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1 Shot Hunter:
He paid a gunsmith to replace the spring with a lighter one and adjust the trigger, but he is still very unhappy. Too much creep and a very rough pull.

If he PAID a gunsmith to adjust it and he is not happy, I suggest he take it back and have it correctly done or ask for a refund.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He may ask for a refund, but he won't take it back to the guy.

So I'm still looking for help.

Have suggested a Rifle Basix or Timney trigger as an option.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the adjustment specs from the Weatherby website:

* Sear engagement is factory set between .008 to .014, with let-off weight set between 2.5 and 3.8 lbs. – averaging 3.15 lbs. Additional sear engagements must be performed by a Weatherby Service Center or qualified gunsmith.

If the current trigger works like the old one, there is a sear engagement screw at the rear of the trigger housing and a weight of pull adjustment screw at the front. This is also the way the Timney trigger works(see below).

http://timneytriggers.com/Inst...ctions/WV%201500.pdf

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bobster!

Have forwarded the info to my friend, recommending he try to see if his screws function similarly to the Timney.

Also recommended that he needs to have the sear stoned, as there is no other way to smooth out the pull.

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
The factory Vanguard triggers have a stop built in with the safety that will not allow for but so little creep. You can do some metal removal to remedy this but too much and the safety will not prevent the rifle from firing even with the safety engaged.

I have installed a few Rifle Basix triggers and have been very pleased with them. Their customer service is wonderful also.

The safest way to get the least creep is to get a new trigger.

Sinclair has the Rifle Basix for $118.95 and $127.10 depending on the one you want.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's some great info! Will pass it along.

Muchos gracias! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youngoutdoors:
The factory Vanguard triggers have a stop built in with the safety that will not allow for but so little creep. You can do some metal removal to remedy this but too much and the safety will not prevent the rifle from firing even with the safety engaged.

I have installed a few Rifle Basix triggers and have been very pleased with them. Their customer service is wonderful also.

The safest way to get the least creep is to get a new trigger.

Sinclair has the Rifle Basix for $118.95 and $127.10 depending on the one you want.

God Bless, Louis

Louis,

A BIG AMEN on the Rifle Basix trigger for the Vanguard rifle. I have two Vanguards, and after looking at the factory triggers decided not to fool around with them and bought the RB's.
The RB trigger breaks are THE best.
I've used aftermarket triggers over the years, and I think the RB has as good of a break as any. I do have some Timney's that break real well too. I got my RB's from Sinclair also.

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
1 Shot, I sent you a PM on this.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
DMB, I usually pick Jewell triggers but they didn't make one for the Vanguards so I started using the RB's. I have been very pleased to say the least. Been hearing some bad reports from some Timney users lately.

Glad you like 'em too.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote