New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not Familiar with "Forest" mauser?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What be this? Someone with a forest stamp?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=156658818

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like a FN Mauser with a 45 degree safety.
Regarding the "Forest"....maybe it belonged to a certain Mr Gump in Alabama... Smiler

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Frankonia, the Franco-German arms dealer, has sold "Forest" model Mausers for several years.

http://www.frankonia.fr/shop/F...1/productdetail.html

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
It looks like a FN Mauser with a 45 degree safety.
Regarding the "Forest"....maybe it belonged to a certain Mr Gump in Alabama... Smiler

I agree, it looks like an FN. Whoever stamped it was pretty heavy handed....

Those bases are interesting. It looks like the might be made for CZ rings. I don't see how the front base is held on. Solder, maybe?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1963 Franconia Ad information shows these Mauser Sporters and list numerous options among them are
FN Action $12.95 adn'l
ZG (Brno) 47 Action $18.45 "
Low wing Safety 2.75 "
Boehler Special Steel BBl. 5.75 "

Most of the Forest marked Franconia Rifles I have handled appeared Very Similar to the Heym Mausers imported in the same time period by various sources incliding Montgomery Ward under the Western Field Brand. The advertised gun shown in the link has the lever release floorplate used on the Wards' Guns

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mel5141:
1963 Franconia Ad information shows these Mauser Sporters and list numerous options among them are
FN Action $12.95 adn'l
ZG (Brno) 47 Action $18.45 "
Low wing Safety 2.75 "
Boehler Special Steel BBl. 5.75 "

Most of the Forest marked Franconia Rifles I have handled appeared Very Similar to the Heym Mausers imported in the same time period by various sources incliding Montgomery Ward under the Western Field Brand. The advertised gun shown in the link has the lever release floorplate used on the Wards' Guns

The Heym Mausers sold under the Western Field name were intermediate length actions. They were opened up in the front to fit the 30-06. They looked a like and FN but had different dimensions(including OAL).

So I guess my question is: were these Forest Mausers intermediate length?

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I believe I may have answered my own question. I grabbed my FW Heym action and its serial numbers had the same script and sloppy, heavy handed stamping.

BTW my action is 214XXa.

Jason

-Jason Brown