New
Find
Notify
Tools

blind magazine Mauser 98
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm trying to shave some weight of of my .338-06 which weighs a whopping 10.5 lb. I just looked at the other post about aluminum bottom metal for mausers, but I would like to trim the weight down even more.
Is there anyone making replacement stocks with a blind magazine? I would prefer a synthetic stock, but I wouldn't mind a wood laminate.
If there isn't anyone making such a thing, is there a rifle action with dimensions similar enough that I could buy on of those stocks, then modify it to work?

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I wouldn't mind a wood laminate.

Your not going to shave any weight using a laminate, they are heavy, more than real wood, and a lot more than synthetic.

What barrel profile have you got on your Mauser? Thats a really heavy rifle, without fiddling with the mag or bottom metal, it isn't real hard to get to 8 lbs. Is this a very heavy barrel?

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Bansners High Tech, they will do a blind mag mauser for you, so will Mcmillian.

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Assuming you purchased a bling mag stock, what else would have to be done? Since the mauser mag box is integral to the floorplate, would you need to it off and insert into the stock?
I guess you would also need something (not sure what it's called) for the front reciever screw and also a new triggerguard.

I may like to try the same thing.

David

Posts: 301 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This synthetic stock is cheap and has the blind mag with triggerguard. I would recommend removing the scope base portion and filling the screw holes with epoxy died black, then shaving them down even with the rest of the stock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=653574

Here is an example of what others have done with this stock.

http://www.mausercentral.com/gungallery29.htm

third one down.

Jer

Wherever you go, there you are.

Posts: 20 | Location: Santa Clarita, Ca | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The barrel is a 24" stainless ER Shaw. If I remember correctly, it's a #2.5 contour. It's the lightest contour that they could do in 338-06.

The bottom metal just seems to be heaviest part. Plus, I prefer blind magazines. I realize that Mauser actions are just heavy. So I'm not expecting to turn this into a feather weight. Just bring it down to a more reasonable weight. Right now, this is my heaviest gun by more than a pound. The next in line is my .458 Win Mag that comes in at about 8.75 lb.

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Not that I care for blind magazines, but I were looking for something to get started with, I'd start here.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My cousin has a 30-06 on a M98 in one of the Choate stocks that Tex21 suggests. It is a perfectly functional stock and is plenty light on the 06. The only real complaint I have about it is the recoil pad. It is probably your least expensive option aslo.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mauser bottom metal is usually around 10 oz. I think. You need some sort of trigger guard and magazine box regardless unless you take a cerro cast of the inside of your Mauser box and inlet it in to the stock--alot of trouble. I thought about doing the same thing but I think that if you got Bansners or a Brown Pound'r, both less than 20 ox stocks, and the aluminum bottom metal you'd shave alot. If you used a #2.5 contour barrel without sights and a reasonably light scope most of the excess weight must be in the stock--what's that weigh?

FWIW a M98's only about 7 oz. heavier than a Rem 700 Long Action which doesn't explain the your 10.5# gun. Alot of that difference is attributable to the steel (M98) vs. "alloy" (700)bottom metal.

I'd first replace the stock.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've used High-Tech and MPI for a blind box. I have also just glassed in a factory stock and then repainted. For a box I pick up a cheap surplus box. One with a stamped box. Then just cut the box off and use what I need. Get a ADL guard.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote