New
Find
Notify
Tools

REM 700 SPEEDLOCK PROBLEM!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
About 2 years ago I had a David Tubbs Speedlock Spring & aluminum firing pin installed into my M 700 Rem. PSS and for 2 years (about 200 shots) it worked fine.

Last fall, however, one day before leaving for an out-of-state elk hunt it refused to fire. Click – nothing! Again Click – nothing! It turned out the firing pin wasn’t hitting the primer.

As it happened, both gunsmiths in my area were busy getting ready for their own hunts and couldn’t work on it. I did find a gunshops owner who was willing to look at it.

After an hour and a half he gave up and installed the original firing pin but somehow managed to switch the springs so that now I don’t know which one is in the rifle.
Thus, I have several questions:
1. Has anyone ever had trouble with the Tubbs Speedlock System in a REM 700?
2. What could be the problem that caused the firing pin not to protrude?
3. Is there any way to differentiate the speed lock spring from the stock Rem. spring without sophisticated compression pressure gauges?
Any information and help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Herb

Third rebirth of member #117.

Posts: 65 | Location: The State of Jefferson, CA | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rem springs are crap.Tubb springs are little faster but still crap.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herb D:
2. What could be the problem that caused the firing pin not to protrude?

Between the time you fired the 200 rounds and getting ready for the out of state hunt, did you happen to take the bolt apart to clean? If so, you may not have screwed the bolt shroud in far enough. On assembly, you have to screw the bolt shroud in all the way and then back it off about a half turn.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF you "blanked" a primer and the little piece got into the bolt it can prevent the firing pin from going all the way forward. I've had this happen to me before I bushed the firing pin hole on my Dasher and I've seen it happen to other shooters at 1000 yard BR matches.
You can check firing pin spring pressure with a bathroom scale on a drill press. You need a block with a hole in it and must disassemble the bolt, of course. I made up a couple of alum blocks that are the same length as a spring at "cocked" length and use these as a ref. when checking springs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
The rem springs are crap.Tubb springs are little faster but still crap.

Define “crap.â€

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When dry firing on dummy rounds you can hear and feel the pin strike the primer with different speed or energy.That is with both the Remington and Tubb springs.I don't have this problem with Sako,Steyr,or Winchester.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When dry firing on dummy rounds you can hear and feel the pin strike the primer with different speed or energy.That is with both the Remington and Tubb springs.I don't have this problem with Sako,Steyr,or Winchester.

Whatever you say! beer

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess by know you you saw that I am a connaisser of rifles and rifle operation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one that didn't protrude on a 700. But that's cuz I put a non ISS pin in the longer ISS shroud. Duh. The one I do use I went right back to the factory spring...w/the tubbs spring the pin really craterd the primer and groups went to hell. I still have one I need to send back to Midway. For $60 I am not impressed at all but I will keep the one I am using on a 700 w/the factory spring.

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess by know you you saw that I am a connaisser of rifles and rifle operation.

Whatever...I just needed clarification of that technical word you used. Hope your rifles work better than your spelling and grammar checker does! Smiler