Find
Notify
Tools

Highlighting Barrel stamp
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Have a rifle that the caliber stamp looks like it has been simply acid washed. Anyone have a suggestion on something that I can simply rub in so it will be highlighted?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
China Marker? Maybe

Posts: 19 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
China Marker? Maybe

That's it. Couldn't think of it. What I had used before was a white grease pencil (china marker) Rubbed it in the wipe off leaving marker in the stamping. Would do it on Gloss finished pistol barrels when I blued them.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Soft welders chalk is what I have always used to do photographs or to make it more readable. It's temporary. The bonanza silver or gold kits offered by Brownells will also high lite deep acid etching to a point. That is somewhat more permanent. superglue with aluminum powder mixed in it also works. put a coat over it and let it harden. Then lightly wipe with a soft cloth and a minimal amount of acetone until you get what you want.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks Speer. The grease pencil was always temporary. But looked great when I returned the pistols. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K