New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would be a good action to build a Lapua
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have a friend that is leaving the Army, and he would like to build a 338 Lapua rifle for long range shooting?? He shoots in snipe school, and thinks it is a Remington 700 LA, no marking on rifle, it has a Kreiger riffle barrel.

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
savage long range hunter.... you can find 1 NIB for close to $1k... has accutrigger. muzzlebrake...... you can change the stock to a Hogue if you want... shoots great for the $$...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the Savage but mine is the 110BA, it has a fully adjustable stock and is a little more money but worth it. You could probably build one that is a little more accurate than the Savage but at considerably more expense. And, I hate it when I ask a question and guys come back with all kinds of advise I didn't ask for so to answer your question, I have no idea which action to use but I wonder if the LA is long enough.

Posts: 385 | Location: Brunswick, GA | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Must work on the 700 because they chamber for it from the factory in certain models. For me the head dia is more of an issue than the OAL

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Big area of controversy here; whether standard actions are strong enough for the 338 Lap. Yes, the back thrust is greater than standard heads but the Remingtons can take it. But Savage and ArmaLite made a completely new, bigger, action on theirs. I would buy one of those. I have an ArmaLite AR30.
To answer your question, I would not hesitate to build on on a 700 either. If he shoots an Army sniper rifle, it was made by Remington and is likely either a 300 WM or a 308. I did not know they bought any 338s but I guess it is possible.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for input, yes Army has 338 lapua.

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might go to Dan Lilja's forum and read his thoughts on using a 700. Rodger, If I used a stock receiver and I would build a 338 Ultra Mag. You won't be giving up anything and gaining a lot. If I just wanted a 338 Lapua I would use one of Stillers receivers built for it.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I built a 338 RUM on a M70 action and I actually use the same loads for both RUM and LAP. You get a lot less bolt backthrust on the RUM if that makes any difference.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know if you would be interested in it or not but Gary Reeder had a custom 338 lap on his instock list not long ago. The one Reeder had was built on a Weatherby MarkV action. Reeder has done two pistols for me and he is working over a CZ550 as we speak I have been very happy with his work.

B.O.H.I.C.A.

Posts: 49 | Location: Bakersfield California  | Registered: 27 November 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Is it too fat for the Magnum Brevex Mauser, if one could be found?

Since the cartridge wears a Finnish name, I would think of a long Sako - the kind they use for their TRG-42 tactical rifle. Even an old L61R might work.

Posts: 5020 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
No build necessary

Rem 700 in 338 Ultra

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
No build necessary

Rem 700 in 338 Ultra

...he would like to build a 338 Lapua rifle...

Posts: 385 | Location: Brunswick, GA | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
Look at the Montana action

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Ok, looks like no one is really up on their M700 clones. So here is the long and skinny.

Stiller makes a great 338 Lapua sized action and it is available with an integral rail.

Sako still makes the TRG 42, and there are tons of a TRG-S/995 rifles available on the 2nd hand market.

Defiance Machine in Kalispel, Montana make a wonderful 338 lapua dedicated action with integral rails or without.

Surgeon of Oklahoma makes a 338 Lapua dedicated action with or without integral scope rails.

A CZ 550 in 416 can be stripped, or you can get the Montana XL action. Darcy Echols also has his action.

If you want a Mauser style action you can use the Granite Mountain Arms or a Satterlee action.

And lastly a Weatherby Mark V 9 lug action will work.

There are other m700 clones beyond the ones I have listed that build actions to fit a 338 Lapua.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Sako M995 action was built for the Lapua magnum.

Yet, the longrange hunting crew prefer the .338 Edge. Then there is the ballistically comparable .338 Norma, a shorter bodied ctg that is very capable.

Study a few loading manuals and see that .340wby doesn't give anything up to the Lapua, but belted magnums are out of style....

Actually, if chambered to headspace on the shoulder the belt is just a bit mor reinforcement for the case... But it will be a few more years before that is "discovered".

For the real 2000yd shooting crowd there is the .338/375wby mag. Sako TRG-s been chambered in that one too. The M995 action is very versatile. Can even buy bolt bodies in std, mag, and super-mag sizes.

I guess there is the lure of Lapua brass to contend with, but .340wby in Weatherby headstamp brass is Norma mfr, none too shabby. Cheaper to buy. Can also neck-up .300wby and there is a lot of it around.

Might find a Win 70 stainless classic chambered for a 7mm STW, .300 Ultra Mag, or .375 H&H? Go that route with a new barrel in chambering of choice. Lots of fine stock choices at McMillan for Win 70 in various match and tactical configurations.

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Wow..lots of info and good choices..

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Don't forget there are .338 LM platforms besides a bolt action.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Yep!...and the McCann Industries .458 Win Mag M1 Garrand! jumping

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
IMO you can't beat the AR-30 for a .338 LM. Far superior to the Savage but somewhat harder to find.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote