Find
Notify
Tools

Puff-Lon Lapping Kit
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted
Anybody have any experience with this stuff?
If so, please advise?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232298...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Stay as far away from anything called "fire' lapping as you can get. It is pure snake oil that can damage your throat.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Stay as far away from anything called "fire' lapping as you can get. It is pure snake oil that can damage your throat.

..Especially if you drink it....

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd may be right about the throat, but I have fire lapped a couple of barrels that copper fouled badly. That made them foul a lot less. No difference in accuracy.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:
dpcd may be right about the throat, but I have fire lapped a couple of barrels that copper fouled badly. That made them foul a lot less. No difference in accuracy.

If it fouls so badly that it "needs" firescrapping, than it should be returned to the manufacture for replacement under the "material and workmanship" warranty.
As long as buyers keep accepting junk, the manufactures will keep selling garbage.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Bear Tooth Bullets fire lapping kit to remove the very common barrel restriction found in Ruger Blackhawks just foreword of the forcing cone. The results were amazing. I've never fire lapped a rifle. I bet lots of folks don't know when to stop. I've looked at David Tubbs system, but decided not to do it. I have an old custom 7mm-06 with a Douglas barrel. It's the worst fouler I've ever had, so it only goes hunting. However, it shoots good, so I quit worrying about it.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
What I have here is a Model 70 in .264 Win mag.
Made in the mid 1970's. Virtually unfired when I
got it. I seen why after I started barrel break-in. I've never seen a barrel copper up so bad, so fast. This had been setting in somebody's closet for about 35 years I had to do a bedding job on it and it is quite accurate as it has the Boss on it.I have improved it with the felt pellets and JB Bore Paste. I have a bore scope and I have seen worse barrels as far as tool marks. There is a video on u-tube showing a guy making a lead swag that goes on a cleaning rod and is expandable that looks like it would work quite well. I lack the skill and tooling to make one so I will use what I have and continue with the break-in. I won't be hunting with it so time is not a issue.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote