Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Stock for a A-bolt II
 Login/Join

posted
I picked up a Browning Hunter A-bolt II in 7mm Mag. with a real banged up wood stock. It looks like the guy bounced it across a few miles of plowed fields in the back of a pick-up!! None of the metal has been scratched however. I mounted a Leupold Var XIII and have about $425 into the gun. The limited amount of handloads proved that it could be a fairly accurate gun. I would like to put a synthetic stock on it before I work up anymore loads for it. What is recommended for stocks?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
McMillan
Brashners Hi-Tech
Borden Rimrock

I have no direct experiance with the Hi-Tech, but it seems to always get a lot of positive comments. Any of the three are excellnt choices. The Browning factory ones can be had pretty cheap at Ebay and such and with a little work can made into good working stocks. I have heard of some guys drilling the length of the forearm and inserting a rod to stiffen it up. I have three Synthetic stocked Brownings and I don't really have any complaints, but they don't come even close to my new McMillan Hunters Edge I got for my MRC rifle.

Woody

Posts: 51 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woody7:
I have heard of some guys drilling the length of the forearm and inserting a rod to stiffen it up.

I did that. It helped accuracy some, but more importantly helped consistency a great deal. But it really threw off the balance of the rifle (should have used a smaller rod or an aluminum one or less bedding, etc) but I didn't care at the time since I already had a McMillan ordered. I'd let that stock go really cheap if anybody actually wants it (long action right hand).

But I really wouldn't recommend it. Like Woody said, it's just not even close to something good like a McMillan. I got the "Browning Classic." I absolutely love it. It's simply better in every way.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote