THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attaching a a banded Cr-Mo sight to a SS bbl...?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All,

I am planning a project that will use a SS barrel and want to put a front sight on it.

I was thinking a banded front would be slick (as opposed to a screw on base) and was wondering about whether or not this was possible. If so, what would be the preferred method of attachement?

Not planning on doing this myself, just curious as to the feasibility and best practices for this.

TIA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless it is a big bore hard kicker lightweight that might come loose it can be done.

There are banded sights with locking screws.

If it's a "sweat on" band, select a band that is an interfernce fit. Put the barrel in the freezer overnight. Heat the band up to 8-900 degrees. Mix up some WEST system epoxy. Put the three together, it should be there forever.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless barrel on my 375 ruger. I installed a NECG banded front sight using high temp, high force 44 solder from brownells. I have done the rubber mallet "wack!" test and it didn't budge, so I assume it is on pretty good.