Notify
Tools

Darn hole thru the reciever lug
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted
Gentlemen

Had the chance to pick up another M17 action the other day for "BIG BORE" conversion

The front of the reciever has been drilled and tapped, but one of the holes is right thru the middle of the action recoil lug....idiots

Here's a photo

So my question is. Will there be a set back problem here, there is NO noticeable set back at this stage.....If we put a hi tensile screw in this, set it and file off, will this strengthen it back up or is it ruined

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not that familiar with your particular action, but are you sure that is not a relief hole for blown primers, gas escape hole, etc.?? My '03 Springfield has same hole but on opposite side.
Perhaps others with more knowledge about your action can enlighten both you and I.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have plugged screw holes in that place and have had no problems with the bolt or pressure.
I just got some sleeve retainer loc-tite,let it set overnight and filed it in the morning.Done slow you can't tell it is there and it blued well also.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Give it to me I will use it to shoot cast bullets and never worry a thing about it.

Heck, I'll throw in shipping.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I not a gunsmith,but Im guessing it has been fired like that more than a few times.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why did you buy it?

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not only is it in the lug but it looks like the two holes are not on the same line. There might be other repairs in order like tig-ing the holes up and re-drilling and hardening. It looks close to the lug seat, you may check to see if it actually was drilled into the face of the seat. The upper bolt lug is the split one, so the metal in front of the hole wouldn't be impacted anyway. Given the number of Mausers converted to '06 that had 3/4 of the upper lug seat scalloped out for bullet tip clearance, I'm guessing it's probably not a big deal.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lets put a name on it! Really.....really sloppy amatuer DIY crap work...ruined action in my opinion..scrap! Take a cutting torch to it..cut it in half....lengthwise!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
would make an Excellent Duck decoy anchor

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lets put a name on it! Really.....really sloppy amatuer DIY crap work...ruined action in my opinion..scrap! Take a cutting torch to it..cut it in half....lengthwise!

+1

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the risk of repeating my self.
I will throw in a few facts

1 The upper lugseat(the one with the discussed hole) is duble as strong as the lower lugseat
2 The lower boltlug is 30% stronger than the split upper boltlug.
In my opinion it is not an ideal design from the beginning, and the hole is of no relevance what so ever, in the overall strength evaluation.

Please look at what many of the "gurues" actualy do on diferent actions, when lengthening the capasity of the magasines.
Those "gurues" that lives with a strength setup as follows

1 The upper lugseat of many m98 lengthened to 375 or 416 capacity is now 4 times stronger as the lower lugseat
2 The lower boltlug is stil 30% stronger than the upper boltlug.
Actualy in those setup the actual strength is less than 50% of the original strength. (this is in many "gurues" opinion strong enough, and has ben done many times, and they never heard of any problems)

On the other hand those same "gurues" make it a big deal that you have an action that will stand up for excactly the same load as if unaltered.

The only thing i can agre on is that it from a cosmetic point, is not as nice. But on the other hand a model 1917 is not excaxtly known for its beauty and grace.

The only theoretical issue on setback, is if the area with the hole has been heavily anealed before drilling, so the whole lugseat is to soft.

quote:

I just got into thinking that this gyu actualy might have some sence of humor, and wrote this as a kind of joke.
If so i apologise my comments at the beginning

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree. Though it is unworkmanlike, unless the steel surrounding the drilled hole was greatly softened by annealing for the hole, then the existence of the hole is de minimus as far as the strength of the action. For that matter, you could machine away the entire upper lug seat and still have an action that is far stronger than the brass case it contains. If you choose to use it to build a gun, the safety of the action is not an issue.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:

They may have tried to do that, but from the looks of the damage, they only had a cordless drill, grinder, and belt sander to work with! Wink

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote