New
Find
Notify
Tools

savage model 20 bolt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone give me their personal opinion on the savage model 20 bolt action ? i would like to get hold of one ,i have never seen one in the ''metal'' but ummmm its my latest fascination at the moment,in 250-3000

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just recentlly sold a very nice one in 250/3000. They were very well made, lightweight , nice wood and checkering. Scope mounting isn't easy, but it can be done. I couldn't bring myself to scope the rifle, it was too nice a piece. Anyway, I ran accross a guy who couldn't live without it, so he's happy and so am I. This one was the only one I've ever seen "in the metal"

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
One of our forum members picked one while he was back home on a hunting trip. I have made it top priority to trade him out of it. They are very neat rifles and not very easy to find. I am glad Craigster left his all origional. They were meant to be that way.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
HAHAHAHAHA. The day you get it, is when the that mess over on the Hunting Report-Africa get straightend out. It does not look like it will either so I guess you won't end up with it.

John

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
My Dad used one in .300 Savage that had a sidemounted scope (he bought it that way). I acquired one some years later also in .300 Savage, but no scope. Mine has the bolt aperture sight.

They are light and handy.

I am looking for a home for mine.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was brought up 50 miles from Utica NY and Have a small collection of Utica made guns. I have never seen a picture of a Model 20, would love to see one. What would a good rifle be worth. Thanks.

You will never hit the target if you don't take the shot.

Posts: 66 | Location: York PA | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Here are some pics from another web site that I borrowed. Neither rifle in the pics are mine but I wish they were.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/M1Tanker70/SavageModel204.jpg

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Witness: I have never seen a picture of a Model 20, would love to see one. What would a good rifle be worth. Thanks.

The one I had was in excellent condition. I sold it for $500. Considering the fact that the buyer didn't bat an eye when I told him what I wanted for it, he may have gotten a real deal. But then again, I got a pretty good deal on it originally.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
The first pictures is of a early model 20. The other pictures are also of a early model 20 with a late model bolt. Early models bolts were bent straight down and the late models which were known as the 20/26's bolts were swept back. Also the late models didn't have the rear sites on the barrels as far as I know they all came with the lyman 54 peep site on the bolts. Also the first modle 20's used the same barrel that savage used on there featherwieght 99's. The one I have is all original has not been drilled and tapped. Mine is the late model The only thing is the fron sight blade was missing so it was replaced. Not the best job but it works. Mine is a 300 savage it hold six rounds in the magazine, and it was one of the last ones made they stopped makng them 1929 the last ones if remember rightbeing made in the tail end of 1928. They say the rifle was well ahead of it's time. Savage took some ideas from the springfield 03 and the mauser 93, 95. The rifles wieghed around 6 1/2lbs unloaded. One could consider these the first light wieght rifles to be made. In 1921 the Model 20 sold for $59.99, making it far more expensive than the 99 savage. They say that is one reason it did not sell so well. Savage only made about 13,000 of these rifles.
Also winchester borrowed some ideas from the Savage when they designed the model 54.

John

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I envy you guys who have a model 20. I have always wanted one, but have never been able to locate one for sale.

We didn't inherit the land from our fathers, we're borrowing it from our children.

Posts: 94 | Location: central pennsylvania | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair, 250 & 300. They are both 1920 models and are a neat rifle when compared against the offerings of the time. However, they have their limitations. Hard to mount scope, split bridge and bad triggers (in todays perspective). They were: light, tang safety and chambered for two very fine ctgs. Both of mine, as many I have seen, have stock problems in the wrist. Perhaps why the 26 model had a beefier stock. Mine are both destined for new stocks, one maple and one mrytle. I have seen one extensively reworked into a 308 (why? 300 is close enough) There is a scope on the 300, using Redfield mounts for it or the MS. The 250 will get a scope via a side mount or a barrel swap with the 300. I have a bolt peep that will go on the 300. Yes I plan to mix and match until I have what I want. Mine are not collector grade and will make a nicely matche pair in two great calibers.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
I found this info on another site.
"The model 1920 and the Improved model 20, which we call a 20/26, were cataloged in 250-3000 and 300 savage. Proto-types are known to have been made in 256 Newton, 7x57, 30-06, and 303 British".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
my rifle is in 300 savage, shoots well, and no it's not for sale!!! wish you good luck in finding one of these fine little rifles. if they played with these guns in 7x57,303, and 30 newton they must have stretched the action quite a bit. defeating what is a light short sporter.

Posts: 95 | Location: Baker, Louisiana | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The original design was for a military rifle which Savage tried to sell the Brits early in WWI. Hence the .303 prototype. They did not bite and Savage redesigned it as a sporter with a shorter action. I owned the long action .256 Newton for a while, a beautifully made and finished rifle, not like an experimental job at all. Had a classy aluminum trap buttplate with the Savage Indian head logo. The buttplate is described in Townsend Whelen's early book "The American Rifle" as standard on Savages but I have never seen or heard of another.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An addendum to my previous post. I now own 3 of them. I was the high bidder on one that was at the Greg Martin Auction in San Franciso (email bid). It is mine for $375 + 13.5% and shipping. Not a bargin, but not bad for what I've seen on these. Here's a link to the gun.
http://www.gregmartinauctions.com look for lot 744. There is an interesting 4 bore rifle at lot 4381

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hopefully you will be able to veiw pictures of my Model 20, .300 Savage here. This is the first time I've tried posting images so please excuse me if it doesn't work.

http://photobucket.com/albums/c296/phm0/