New
Find
Notify
Tools

Checkering Cradle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I made and have seen many checkering cradles. They look great, but how do you anchor them to what so they are sturdy and not moving when you use them. Like I said cradle looks good sitting on bench but useless as I can hold the stock with my one hand and checker with the other better. Even prop the stock between my arms or legs. Some one give me a clue on how you mounted a cradle

NRA Life Member

Posts: 69 | Location: caseyville, IL | Registered: 11 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't say I have much experience checkering other than chasing the lines to crisp them up after a refinish job.
But the most useful way to mount anything in a vise for maximum move ability, that I have done, is to mount it on a bowling ball rig.
You can look it up on YouTube and get a better explanation of how to make one for yourself.
But it involves a couple steel rings cut with the proper circumference for one to support the ball while the other clamps down on it with bolts to adjust it's movement.
Great for working on shaping small parts and awkward items too.

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You clamp it in a vise. That way you can move it up and down, and the cradle allows 360 degree swivel.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I worked standing.
My checkering cradle had a hole in the middle of the base. Work bench had a hole drilled in it too.
Had a large carriage bolt coming up from the bench and a big wing nut to lock the cradle in the position I wanted.
There are other more sophisticated methods but that worked for me.

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
When I started checkering a dozen years or so ago I built a nice cradle using Unistrut and a Wilton Pow’r Arm. Worked real well, until I tried checkering at my workbench padded with an old towel. So much faster, easier, better I haven’t used the cradle in five years or so. In fact I don’t know why I haven’t dismantled the cradle as I’m sure I’m not going to use it again.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeap toomaanytools. All the years I have been checkering I used a towel or two and just held it by hand or wedge between my legs. I have been doing this for over 30 years so I guess I'm with you. Going to dismantle cradle and do what has worked for me. Thanks

NRA Life Member

Posts: 69 | Location: caseyville, IL | Registered: 11 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My cradle is anchored by over 200 pounds of dead weight (me)

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What dpcd said, you put it in a vice. Better still a swivel vice.

Posts: 631 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
A lot depends on weather you use an electric tool or not. If not, you should have a sturdier setup.

I use an electric tool for spacing and my steel cradle is mounted on a Wilton power arm junior on a 3" pipe welded to a 20 inch field disk. It sits on those snap together shop floor mats you get at the big box stores.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
G&H picture 1970 (George Beitzinger).
Ball Vise & wood cradle. Esso gas station shirt.

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote