New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt Timing question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a M700 short action in a custom stock. When the trigger is pulled the bolt handle pops up about a degree, with or without a case in the chamber. There is ample clearance between the bolt handle and the stock. Is this a problem? Is it typcal of many rifle designs?

I've dissasembled a number of bolt assemblies, but I don't think I really understand the concept of bolt timing. Would someone be so kind as to reduce my ignorance a bit?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
It is typical in factory produced guns. The problem is due to the cocking notch not being in perfect alignment with it's groove in the receiver, causing to bolt to jump as the cocking piece moves forward, slightly off center. There are fairly simple ways to correct this, but, it doesn't generally pose much of a problem with sporting arms.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westpac,
Thanks for the explanation.
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote